Pitot heat?

TGatch

So, I flew a x-c last year in the middle of summer. I was in the clouds for maybe half an hour on the way there. When I returned to my FBO and was paying for the flight the guy there commented "You know it's not legal to fly that airplane in IMC, it doesn't have pitot heat" Stating that if I were to have a ramp check I would've been busted. It's a piper cherokee and it indeed does not have pitot heat. I went home that night and tried to find a reg about it, but I can't for the life of me. For 135 ops (135.163) it is required to carry passengers, does anybody know is it required under part 91? This is the only plane (IFR) I've ever flown, that didn't have pitot heat.

So, I flew a x-c last year in the middle of summer. I was in the clouds for maybe half an hour on the way there. When I returned to my FBO and was paying for the flight the guy there commented "You know it's not legal to fly that airplane in IMC, it doesn't have pitot heat" Stating that if I were to have a ramp check I would've been busted. It's a piper cherokee and it indeed does not have pitot heat. I went home that night and tried to find a reg about it, but I can't for the life of me. For 135 ops (135.163) it is required to carry passengers, does anybody know is it required under part 91? This is the only plane (IFR) I've ever flown, that didn't have pitot heat.
Man... I thought it had to do with icing.

But you will find any of those certification requirements in Part 23 or 25. Your question would be in part 23 under the single engine requirements. The cherokee is IFR certified right? You know its been a long time since I've been head deep in part 23. I'd have a tough time telling you where to look in 23.

It's not on the IFR required equip list (GRABCARD). Is/was the A/C itself certified for IFR or was if VFR only?

Edit:
Part 23 AIRWORTHINESS STANDARDS: NORMAL, UTILITY, ACROBATIC, AND COMMUTER CATEGORY AIRPLANES; Sec. 23.1323 Airspeed indicating system.

(d) If certification for instrument flight rules or flight in icing conditions is requested, each airspeed system must have a heated pitot tube or an equivalent means of preventing malfunction due to icing.

It's not on the IFR required equip list (GRABCARD). Is/was the A/C itself certified for IFR or was if VFR only?

Edit:
Part 23 AIRWORTHINESS STANDARDS: NORMAL, UTILITY, ACROBATIC, AND COMMUTER CATEGORY AIRPLANES; Sec. 23.1323 Airspeed indicating system.​

(d) If certification for instrument flight rules or flight in icing conditions is requested, each airspeed system must have a heated pitot tube or an equivalent means of preventing malfunction due to icing.

I actually just found that reg online (I can't seem to find it in the far/aim?) Anyway, I guess maybe it never was certified for IFR then, or it lost it along the way. It is a 1965, I dont know if that has anything to do with it(Standards changing between 1965 and 1980?). The other cherokee (warrior) they have is a 1980 and it has it. They tell students it's an "IFR" Plane, and regularly use it for IFR training. I dont' fly out there anymore, but it's been bugging me ever since.

It is entirely possible that the regs at the time that the aircraft was certificated did not require pitot heat.

They tell students it's an "IFR" Plane, and regularly use it for IFR training. I dont' fly out there anymore, but it's been bugging me ever since.

There is a difference between being an instrument trainer and certified for instrument flights.

Would that plane have been certified under CAR and not FAR 23? :confused:

Not sure if that would make a difference...

-mini

Should be a placard in it somewhere that says "This aircraft is certified for blah blah blah when equipped blah blah blah"

It would have been certified under CAR 3, which to my knowledge says nothing about pitot heat.

There is a difference between being an instrument trainer and certified for instrument flights.

Forgive my ignorance but what would be the difference there? I know it's been used in IMC, that's why I'm confused as to why the guy told me it wasn't legal, but they use it anyway :panic:. If I get back out there anytime I'll check out the placard in it. Thanks for the responses guys.

Forgive my ignorance but what would be the difference there? I know it's been used in IMC, that's why I'm confused as to why the guy told me it wasn't legal, but they use it anyway :panic:. If I get back out there anytime I'll check out the placard in it. Thanks for the responses guys.

IFR Trainer that is not IFR certified is restricted to VMC and student under the hood (simulated Instrument). Sounds strange what's happening at that school - Iwould expect it to be placarded like someone mentioned above to prevent confusion.

Back