Want to Buy Piper Turbo Arrow III

I know of one potentially for sale. It has new paint, interior, and very strong mechanically.

What equipment are you looking for and what is your budget?

It all really depends on what the plane already has equipped and how much they want for it.

By the time we are done with a Turbo Arrow, the following are bare essentials of equipment we want in it:

At least one WAAS Garmin 530 (preferably 2 530s, or a 430 along with the 530)
Merlyn Auto wastegate
TurboPlus intercooler
GAMIjectors
Improved cowling (such as the LoPresti)

Obviously there are other things, but these are the basic ones we want.

Nevermind this thread. We decided that a turbo arrow isn't worth the trouble. We decided to start looking for a Dakota instead.

I was going to say. Turbo Arrows arent that great considering the turbos tend to jack up the engine in Arrows. Now normally aspirated arrows are great!

I was going to say. Turbo Arrows arent that great considering the turbos tend to jack up the engine in Arrows. Now normally aspirated arrows are great!

Yeah, but the thing is... regular arrows are really only meant to teach you how to use a complex systems like a variable prop and landing gear. The engine in it is a boat anchor compared to what it SHOULD have. The Dakota's cruise speed is actually slightly better than the arrow and hauls 300 pounds more fuel/payload.

Yeah, but the thing is... regular arrows are really only meant to teach you how to use a complex systems like a variable prop and landing gear. The engine in it is a boat anchor compared to what it SHOULD have. The Dakota's cruise speed is actually slightly better than the arrow and hauls 300 pounds more fuel/payload.

You would be surprised. I get 135 Kts (true) @ 9.4GPH with a useful load of over 800 Lbs. Not a bad personal airplane. The only thing a Turbo Arrow would do better is have the ability to climb higher. Other than that, turbo arrows are a waste of time.

The only competitors I could think of is a DA40XL or a SR20, but they would cost 3x more at a minimum. The Dakota will add about 5 GPH and only 13 Kts. The only great thing is the increase in useful load.

I am not trying to sway your decision, it is just interesting how people think Arrows are only for training when they really aren't bad personal aircraft. Put one of the new avadine or garmin panels into the Arrow and you have a 100K airplane that would normally cost you 350k. That is if you get a 200HP variant. The performance stats above are from an Arrow 2 I fly.

I wouldn't give up on a T-Arrow, but I'd recommend finding one with a run-out engine. That way, you have a known-quantity and don't have to guess how it was abused in the past. If the original engine isn't an -FB, you might take a hit on the core credit. The intercooler and wastegate are good for that engine, but the 6 cyl Cont probably won't make TBO. So budgeta top at about 8-900 hrs.

The one thing about the 235 is the engine. Isn't is a 540 with the single-shaft/dual mag (PA31, TB20, 182RG)? That design never gave me a warm-fuzzy.

Back