Piper Meridian

jhugz

Guppy gear swinger
Okie Dokie...

Well I got an offer today to possible fly some right seat in a Meridian.

I am a 300 hour pilot and want to eventually log PIC Turbine.

How can I do this...I know for starters I am going to have to get a high-alt.

I am sure I have to do a certain # of hours in type before I have to get insured. Do I have to go to a flight safety course to eventually be on the insurance?

If I am a CFI-II which hopefully I will be on Thursday and get a high-alt endorsement can I log dual. I am really tired and all of this is hurting my head right now but I am just looking for some advice and seeing if I am getting in way over my head.

Good night,

jhugz

Might not have mattered 6 months ago but if I were doing an interview and the guy in front of me had a lot of dual given in a Meridian I would be a bit suspiscious unless it said 'Worked for Piper Aircraft providing flight instruction in Piper Meridian aircraft' on his or her resume.

Is this dual given going to be all with the same person (the owner of the airplane, I guess)? Depending on how long it goes on the FAA might be a little suspiscious also assuming they ever found out about it.

No SIC because its a single pilot aircraft...that is not what I am asking I am just trying to figure out a way I can make this a purposeful exp.

If its operated under pt 135 certificate which requires a SIC then it would need a SIC even if it is a single pilot airplane. Thats what Buick wanted to know I think he knows the Meridian is SP.

It's a single engine land airplane, therfore you may log PIC for all the time you are "the sole manipulator of the controlls". High alt, HP, and complex endorsements don't matter.

So if he lets you fly it, you can and should log that time.

I'm guessing that this won't amount for the bulk of your flight time in the long run. However it's vaulable experiance in real world IFR operations with a turbine engine that you should keep record of.

It's a single engine land airplane, therfore you may log PIC for all the time you are "the sole manipulator of the controlls". High alt, HP, and complex endorsements don't matter.

So if he lets you fly it, you can and should log that time.

I'm guessing that this won't amount for the bulk of your flight time in the long run. However it's vaulable experiance in real world IFR operations with a turbine engine that you should keep record of.
:yeahthat:

I'm not exactly sure though about the endorsements... I'd say that you need the high-perf endorsement. But other than that as long as you are the one flying you can log it... it is under 12,500LBS so no type rating needed of course. But like the other guy said, I'd be careful about having a buttload of time as dual given in a Meridian... it's not illegal, but might raise a few questions come interview time.

I can't really answer your questions, but I can say the Meridian is a damned nice aircraft. It felt like a boat to me until I got used to it, since the largest I had flown before was a C207, and the bulk of my hours were 152s, but it was a great experience.

I got to fly it because my friend's family friend has one (he's a CPA) and he just had it in for avionics upgrades. Since he's obsessive about safety, he always takes it out on a nice day to make sure everything works for when it's a crap day. He knew I was a pilot, so he invited me along to do some practice approaches from HEF down to CHO. Lovely aircraft.

:yeahthat:

I'm not exactly sure though about the endorsements... I'd say that you need the high-perf endorsement. But other than that as long as you are the one flying you can log it... it is under 12,500LBS so no type rating needed of course. But like the other guy said, I'd be careful about having a buttload of time as dual given in a Meridian... it's not illegal, but might raise a few questions come interview time.

61.51 says category and class, mentions nothing about endorsements. To act as PIC, you need it. To log PIC, you don't. There is a difference between logging and acting as PIC.

If its operated Part 91, the only time you can log anything is the time you are the sole manipulator. Aside from legitimate instrument instruction, I would be VERY cautious about logging dual given for the time you were sitting right seat.

Fly the plane, learn some stuff, and chalk it up as a great learning experience. Yes, our industry is based primarily on what we have in that book with green pages. But sometimes you have to put the pen down and just go learn some stuff and not put it into your "total time."

Actually it is becoming quite common for an Instructor to log quite a bit of dual in aircraft like a the PA46's, sirrus and Cessna/Columbia 350/400 series aircraft. This is done for Insurance requirements for owner/pilots who need dual and TT.

As far as the origional post goes, I would find it very hard to believe that you will become insurable in a Meridian with much less than 1000TT. Seeing that you will be in a pressurized, retractable gear, turbine aircraft.

Any kind of Turbine PIC time in an aircraft you haven't been to school in is going to raise some eyebrows, regardless whether it's logged as a flight instructor. For one thing, the insurance will not list you on the policy as a pic, and you definitely don't meet the requirements of the opc. This would be a great learning experience, but if you aren't logging it as dual received, even if you are the sole manipulator, it's not going to hold a lot of water in an interview or on a resume.

Back