Piper Doors

B757plt2B

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this has already been brought up and answered. I was just curious as to what the thinking was behind Piper putting the door on the right side, on most of their airplanes. I would think most pilots would fly from the left side when they go solo and in the event of a fire or some situation that requires immediate evacuation, wouldn't having to climb over the center console, etc., be difficult, and more importantly, time consuming?? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

John

I've heard a lot of reasons but the one I hear most and tend to believe is the door on the right side alows passengers first shot at getting out in the event of an emergency: i.e. they don't have to try and crawl out over the pilot.

Piper wanted any use of the door as a speedbrake on landing to be a two man operation...
laugh.gif

Yeah but those doors are not always intuitive; with the latch on the top and the handle on the side, I'd rather have a pilot be there to open the door first.

That, and I want out first in an emergency!
wink.gif

They knew they were to be used a lot for training and wanted to give CFIs the confident feeling they could bail out first (and hold open the door while the student taxis on hot days)

BTW, this is not just a piper thing. I've have been in Mooney and Beechcraft that only have the door on the right side.

Better question, why does something like a Citabria have a door only one one side? Or a Cub?

One door generally means a stronger fuselage for less complexity/weight as compared to multiple doors.

The only problem I have with it is having to reach across my passenger to close and latch the door. Unless she's hot. Then, God bless Piper.

[ QUOTE ]
I was told it is so that students going through instrument training cannot jump out and commit suicide.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

HAAAAA! so true, so true!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was told it is so that students going through instrument training cannot jump out and commit suicide.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

HAAAAA! so true, so true!

[/ QUOTE ]
See I thought is was for the CFI to escape out while I am doing my approches.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah but those doors are not always intuitive; with the latch on the top and the handle on the side, I'd rather have a pilot be there to open the door first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I brief my passengers (students) about the door as follows: "Open the door by moving the levers the same way you get of your seat. Forward and Up."

Back