Piper Cherokee

pkloop

What do you all think about the Cherokee Six? Rumors, problems, complaints and compliments on this plane needed. Thinking about buying one. (If you saw my post in the post your mug thread you know why!
smile.gif
)

The 300hp engine costs a lot to maintain!!(fuel,maintanence,ect...) A pro is a very large useful load.

Not really that much to maintain. More than a 152 sure, but that is obvious. Nothing like trying to maintain a complex. The 300 is fuel injected, the 260 is not. About the same fuel burn since you'll be able to more accurately control the 300, and with the extra power, it'll get you maybe 3-5kts more depending on who you talk to. I know guys who plan 130kts with a 260, for a clean well rigged plane.
I'm looking for one myself actually. I think it is the best value out there if you need something that'll hold full fuel, and fill up with 4 people and their baggage. And need to go up to higher DA fields (I have a place at 4500' I'll be going a lot) every now and then. Nice ones built in the 60s, mid time on the engine, run from $60-80k. From that point, you are buying newer, or better panels, paint, interior, etc.

One thing is check the fuel selector. All those 4 tank types in Pipers can develop a leak at a seal, and if they haven't been replaced, likely will need it. That is something that'll be handled already with any well maintained plane though.

On www.myairplane.com you can do a background search on the tail number you are looking at. It'll give you the basics, possibly any damage history.

www.aso.com
www.controller.com
trade a plane, and whatever other sources you have.
Good enough plane for Piper to bring it back into production. If I had the money to pick a new, reliable, piston single, the 6x is what I'd pick at this point. Don't have the money, so I'm looking at a used Cherokee 6.

Slower than a Lance/Saratoga but easier to maintain because of the fixed gear. Piper had some problems with the electrohydraulic gear box on the Lance/Saratoga - called the "Power Pack"

I also think the Cherokee 6 is the best bang for the buck. The 300hp runs 20-30K more than the 260hp and it doesn't make much difference performance wise. I hear that they are good on maintence and relatively cheap to insure (hard to land gear-up). Personally, I'd go with the 6-260 and spend some extra money upgrading the panel.

There is a nice '79 300 at an airport about 30 miles from me, listed on ebay now for $100k. I don't like the Collins radios for that price, and think I'd really need a partner to not drain all my savings.

You tend to get a newer 6, in better condition with a 300 as well. Just what I've noticed for the year or so I've been watching the used market for them. The 260s are certainly a good deal, and there was a time I was about ready to plunk down $65k for a nice 260, if I only didn't have to go halfway across the country to just look at it. The big disadvantage on that, and may of the older models, is the non T style panel layout. So little odd for IFR flying. Something I'd have to change, so factor that into the price of an older model if that is important to you. So a 300 may cost more, but you may not need to make upgrades to it like you will to some cheaper 260s. There was a couple dozen nice ones listed throughout the summer, prices seem to be going up.

Someone had one in Aero Trader for 12950 an amazing price that musta been a mis print. I called on it and the message said it was sold though!! It claimed to have been OH 400 hours ago and interior done at the same time. AMAZING price if it were true. Ran the tail number on it and it comes up clean, no damage or incident history. Oh well didn't think I'd find one that cheap. I'm looking in the 60-75 range though. Some are over 100 and really nice upgraded avionics and all that but I could put up with an older panel if I had to

Back