Piper Cherokee - Fog / Poor Visibility - Indiana, PA

Silverhawkpmm

News Story here

JOHNSTOWN, Pa. -- A plane missed its landing and crashed with three people on board on Sunday at an Indiana County airport.

The passengers were taken to Conemaugh Hospital in neighboring Cambria County.

Channel 4 Action News' Jennifer Miele reported that airport manager Todd Heming said Mark Goldinger, who was piloting the plane, made several attempts to land before crashing into a hillside near Jimmy Stewart Airport.Goldinger radioed for help landing because the visibility was so low but did not report any mechanical issues.

When radio contact stopped, officials feared the plane had crashed and sent out a search party, which found the wreckage, Heming said."We didn't know what happened to him after that, whether he was departing the airport for some other airport or what. There was nothing on the radar. We assumed the worst at the time," said Heming.Miele spoke to family members who were at the airport who said Goldinger's son, Justin, was on board and in critical condition.

The condition of a second passenger, described as a family friend, has not been released.Goldinger, an experience pilot from Dayton, Armstrong County, is listed in fair condition.Authorities said dense fog made for low visibility when the plane was attempting to land around 6 p.m. Sunday.

Those who live near the airport talked about the weather conditions that night."I came home from my parents' house last night shortly after this happened, and the visibility in front of your vehicle was probably 10 ft. We went very slow coming home," said resident Rhoda Gillen.

The plane, a single-engine Piper Cherokee, had taken off from the Indiana County airport earlier in the day and was on its way back when it crashed.The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating the crash.

Thank God nobody died.

It doesn't say whether the pilot was instrument rated, but with conditions like that, one has to wonder why he didn't divert.

That whole area of PA can be downright crappy when the fog rolls in.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

-mini

Thank God nobody died.

It doesn't say whether the pilot was instrument rated, but with conditions like that, one has to wonder why he didn't divert.

The article stated he was "highly experienced" but the FAA site reflects a PPL issued 12/07. Of course he could be a fresh IR with the rating not in the system yet, but we don't know for sure. I think they are DAMN lucky to be alive since inadvertant flight into IMC is such a bad deal. I am curious what the forecast was before they departed.

Weather at the time wasn't very good...

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 5212W Make/Model: PA28 Description: PA-28 CHEROKEE, ARROW, WARRIOR, ACHER, D
Date: 01/04/2009 Time: 2300

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Substantial

DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT CRASHED SHORT OF THE AIRPORT, INDIANA, PA

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 2 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: 2
# Pass: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: 1
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: 042321Z AUTO 1/4SM OVC002 06/06 A2997

Well it is nice to see no body died in this accident. Only the pilot knows why he did not divert.

Well it is nice to see no body died in this accident. Only the pilot knows why he did not divert.

Fog tends to occupy quite large areas and I would think he just may not have had enough fuel to get away from the conditions.

The article stated he was "highly experienced" but the FAA site reflects a PPL issued 12/07.

My data says that my Commercial pilot certificate was issued in August of '08, so that means nothing. Heck, he could have had the certificate for 20 years, and ordered new cards when he changed his address. The issue date would reflect the newly issued hard copies.

My data says that my Commercial pilot certificate was issued in August of '08, so that means nothing. Heck, he could have had the certificate for 20 years, and ordered new cards when he changed his address. The issue date would reflect the newly issued hard copies.

That is true. Everything is conjecture at this point anyway I suppose.

Back