Piper Arrow IV

jspeed87

I'm taking a checkride in this soon any tips? How in depth do I need to go with systems? I can explain the constant speed propeller, engine, and landing gear system to a some what higher level but some things not, (air conditioning climate controls) limitations and emergency procedures I studied well. If the examiner asked me to explain the electrical system schematic for example I would not be as confident. Basically do I need to give a engineer explanation for systems for commercial/CFI?

I would study some more.

You say this is for a CFI ride? What would you say to a student who asks how the AC works?

It's for commercial but I would be doing CFI soon after. That is true, but I'm not a HVAC tech or anything I just know it should be off for take off and landings. I figure there are more important things to know.

I'd be pretty comfortable with the electrical schematic...that's something you're going to see and deal with a lot, not only as a CFI applicant, but in every airplane you'll fly from here forward.

You may think the AC is insignificant, but as a part of the airplane, you're expected to know how it functions beyond "well, we gotta turn it off for takeoff". Take the initiative now to learn systems in-depth, all the systems. It will help you a lot when you get into larger, faster, and more complicated aircraft.

I just finished my CSEL in an arrow (1968 Arrow) last week. Here is what I was asked about the systems:

How does the prop work - does oil being pumped in make the prop have a larger or smaller angle? What happens if all oil pressure is lost? Why does the RPM drop when doing a mag check on the ground, but not when in the air? ...and a few similar questions.

How/when do you apply carb heat? What happens in this airplane when carb heat is pulled? (Trick questions.....)

How do the mags work? (I drew a mag system, explaining what each item inside the mag itself does - had a good hint that this would be asked). Once I drew it, there were no more questions. I think I actually taught him something about the inner workings of the mag. I went into a little detail about the copper coils - and how low voltage went in and high voltage went out - basic transformer information. I don't think that this is necessary knowledge, but it seemed to impress him and he stopped asking me system questions.

Then we went to the airplane - asked me what each antenna was for, what each air intake was for, where the static port is, the baggage compartment door strap that keeps it open, etc....

It seems to me the more you know with systems and the more in depth you can go, the less the examiner will ask once he or she realizes you really know your stuff. If you can confidently answer a tricky or complex systems question they will realize you probably understand it well and not dig as deep. That's from my experience on CSEL and CMEL.

On my commercial checkrides I was expected to know about the landing gear system, the emergency gear extension process (as in, what happens within the system when you actuate the emergency gear extension), how the constant speed prop works, and also a lot of questions from the FARs pertaining to the simple question, "can I be paid for this flight?" along with some scenarios. Honestly, my commercial was probably one of my easiest check rides all things considered.

One thing I wish more students would consider with all check rides they take: If you screw up out there as a pilot and god forbid hurt yourself or someone else, the first persons the FAA comes back to is the DPE who gave you your certificate and the CFI who said you were ready (signed you off). So from a DPE's perspective, they are really only concerned with TWO things. Safe and legal. Are you going to be a safe pilot? Make the right decisions, etc... And are you going to follow the FARs and not get yourself (and possibly them) in some sort of trouble? They test your knowledge on these subjects to make themselves feel warm and fuzzy inside about giving you your rating. ...Or you could just read the PTS.

PTS FTW. to be honest I can explain most things well. It's not an engineer explanation or anything but to the point.

When you can draw the systems from memory quit studying. Most of the airline types here can draw the electrical, fuel and pnuematic systems of their respective aircraft from memory. I think the Arrow would be less challenging. Good luck.

You say this is for a CFI ride? What would you say to a student who asks how the AC works?
This is probably why I should not be allowed to instruct:
426015_329857590459191_1554411322_n.jpg

Or this:
091101_4_forces_new.jpg

The A/C is not rocket science. You should certainly be able to at least give a general description of how it operates for a commercial checkride. And if it has any limitations (which I'm sure it does, like off for takeoff and landing) best know those cold.

My CFI ride examiner asked me to explain how lift works on a symmetrical wing (he knew I had a Pitts)

I wish I would have had autothrust's picture with me back then.

I'm taking a checkride in this soon any tips? How in depth do I need to go with systems? I can explain the constant speed propeller, engine, and landing gear system to a some what higher level but some things not, (air conditioning climate controls) limitations and emergency procedures I studied well. If the examiner asked me to explain the electrical system schematic for example I would not be as confident. Basically do I need to give a engineer explanation for systems for commercial/CFI?

Had my CSEL ride last month. The systems questions were:

What instruments are part of the vaccum system?
What is hydraulic on this plane?
What type of flaps does it have?
A few on Pitot Static failures.
Describe a CS Prop, what happens when you lose oil?

No Landing gear as its an old Johnson bar mooney gear, so all mechanical
No drawing anything
As soon as TOMATO FLAMES FLAPS was written to start writing the required he stopped and moved on.
Most of it was on the XC, why I chose the route, a lot on weather, chart symbols, what charts do you use for planning, more on VFR sectional symbols.
Maybe 70 min tops on oral

Back