Pipeline Patrol Operator Qualification "OQ" Test

FlyingAlly

I just got a job doing pipeline patrol for a company in Texas. I was told that I would have to take an Operator Qualification written and oral test. Anyone have an idea of what is covered in an OQ test? The company wants me to handle most of the southern lines that they inspect, so I'm expecting to have a very busy schedule and gain tons of hours especially being low and slow. Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

I just got a job doing pipeline patrol for a company in Texas. I was told that I would have to take an Operator Qualification written and oral test. Anyone have an idea of what is covered in an OQ test? The company wants me to handle most of the southern lines that they inspect, so I'm expecting to have a very busy schedule and gain tons of hours especially being low and slow. Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.
It will become mind-numbing after a while. Don't get complacent. Always be scanning: Towers, especially uncharted towers, Birds.

It will become mind-numbing after a while. Don't get complacent. Always be scanning: Towers, especially uncharted towers, Birds.

Thanks! Yeah, I hear those guy wires are something to definitely watch out for. I know the AIM specifies 122.75 for air to air comms and some people even use 123.45 but I heard from an old coworker that there was a "Pipeline Patrol" specific freq?

Thanks! Yeah, I hear those guy wires are something to definitely watch out for. I know the AIM specifies 122.75 and .85 for air to air comms and some people even use 123.45 but I heard from an old coworker that there was a "Pipeline Patrol" specific freq?
From listening, I'd say that would be Guard.

My boss gave me a pamphlet, an address and a date to take the test. I guess I passed because I never heard back from anyone about it. If you are flying the same route weekly, it gets boring quickly. Special vfr becomes more relevant than ever and you'll learn where every tower on your route is. Enjoy it. It's a great time builder. I would suggest that you fly IFR with someone every once in a while to stay current because it all day vfr when you're patrolling.

Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Buy one of these.

9983.jpg

:aghast: What cockpit tempts to expect in the skies of TX

Last edited:
The OQ is no biggie. 40 question multiple guess + 40 questions customized for your specific employer multiple guess. Study pamphlet is ~40 pages, I flipped through it 3 times over two weeks time and missed one question. Mostly irrelevant material to what the job actually entails but when the feds say jump you say how high, right?

:aghast: What cockpit tempts to expect in the skies of TX
I'm used to heat and humidity. One question I do have was if I needed a sign-off/endorsement of the Low Altitude Waiver in my logbook or is a signed copy of the Certificate of Waiver in my flight bag enough?

The waiver is specific to the company to conduct ops in deviation of the published FAR so a copy should suffice, but do whatever level of CYA gives you peace of mind.

Just took the OQ test and passed with an 80. These are all the topics that were covered in my OQ test.

Frequency of Inspections
Safety & Safety Devices
Surveying Methods
Navigable Waterway Inspections & Methods <--- Most irrelevant thing but you still need to know the information
Characteristics Of A Leak
What To Look For When Patrolling
One Call System
Examples Of Abnormal Operating Conditions
Detection Units
Steps To Reacting To Various Events Such As Hazardous Atmosphere Alarms, Activation Of A Safety Device
Class Of Fires
Methods Of Underground Inspections
What A Right Of Way (ROW) Is

My test was a two part PAPER test administered by NCEER. I was told that NCEER is developing a Computer Based Testing (CBT) format and HOPEFULLY, the information will be more relevant to Aerial Patrol. The CBT is expected to release in September. If anyone has any questions feel free to message me.

Back