Pilots with master degrees

Seggy

Hello all!

I've been a long time 'lurker' and I am looking forward to posting and hopefully contributing to Mr. Taylor's website.

If I am going for an interview with a regional and then eventually a major, does a masters degree help the new hire candidate? Are there any benefits of going through the hiring process with a masters degree?

IMO, doesn't make much of a difference. The whole degree requirement for airline hiring is more of a yes/no box to check. Masters/bachelors, and what it's in doesn't make that much difference.

[ QUOTE ]

If I am going for an interview with a regional and then eventually a major, does a masters degree help the new hire candidate? Are there any benefits of going through the hiring process with a masters degree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a master's degree and I do believe it helped to separate me from the pack. I interviewed with 5 airlines and received job offers from all of them. The advanced degree was a topic of conversation on all of the interviews. It's definitely not a requirement, and does not guarantee employment, but I believe it shows motiviation and inititative...which employers love to see.

Much more important though, it will provide you with the additional tools you may need to use should there be a hiccup in your aviation career. Flying jobs are fragile and many do not last nearly as long as you would like them to.

I got a MS in Forestry. I dont expect this to help me in this new career endeavor of aviation, but I am STILL glad I did it.

Education is never a bad thing. A masters is not required by any airline that I can think of for employment, but it absolutly can not hurt. More education shows that you're 'teachable', and willing to learn.

Back