pilots admit falling asleep during flight

At my last job they were going to mandate a 9PM meeting to dispense some FAA required Fatigue Risk Management Program.

Never mind the fact that we would've been on duty all night to accomplish said program with a 5AM show the following morning.

Considering I am far from the only person who may plan 8 hours of sleep but end up lying awake in bed restlessly awake for several hours, I don't know how these current minimum rest rules stick around. Oh wait, $.

At my job, I'm doing two 1430-0000(or later) shifts, one day off, then two 530-1500(or later) shifts. The best I've ever been able to do on my day off to start the AM shift was 4 hours of sleep. Usually its much less. Airline pilots doing this stuff all the time is scary, I don't know how you guys manage.

At least airline guys know their schedule...just saying...

My normal rotation in 15-20 hours per month. This month, I have been to 6 countries, 60+ hours, 25+ sectors, and more 0500 or earlier wake ups than I can remember. Normally, these guys are late late flights. Not this rotation.

It's go home day tomorrow, though!!

Considering I am far from the only person who may plan 8 hours of sleep but end up lying awake in bed restlessly awake for several hours, I don't know how these current minimum rest rules stick around. Oh wait, $.

Well, what do you propose, exactly? How much would be enough? 12? 14? 20? I mean, if it's 20, what if I go back to the hotel, immediately go to sleep, wake up 6 hours later, and can't get back to sleep? Now I'm going in to work after 14 hours of being awake...that's not Safe! I often hear complaining about duty/flight time regs, but I rarely hear a proposal as to what should be done.

Well, what do you propose, exactly? How much would be enough? 12? 14? 20? I mean, if it's 20, what if I go back to the hotel, immediately go to sleep, wake up 6 hours later, and can't get back to sleep? Now I'm going in to work after 14 hours of being awake...that's not Safe! I often hear complaining about duty/flight time regs, but I rarely hear a proposal as to what should be done.
I'd think 10ish would be good. Give a 2-3 hour buffer for a full nights rest, that'd be ok for all but the true insomniacs me thinks. Reasonable enough that not getting proper rest comes down to the pilots themselves.

Last edited:

We are proposing 16 hours automatically for all fatigue calls, and longer if the 16 hours ends just prior to the overnight window of circadian low.

So if someone calls out at 0700, they would need longer than 16 hours since most of that would be during daylight hours. Basically, every fatigue call should get rest during one normal overnight sleep cycle.

Where I work, after a FAT call, skeds tells you to call back after your rested. No expectations on how long that will be.

Where I work, after a FAT call, skeds tells you to call back after your rested. No expectations on how long that will be.
Ostensibly we are to inform Crew Support of our estimated return to duty time.

That's not easy to prospectively determine, and they've never asked — and I won't tell. Call in rested, maybe sit reserve or rejoin your pairing.

I am happy to say that I've not once been given word one of guff from a scheduler about calling in sick or FTG; I know this was not how it always was, and I know this is not how it is industrywide. But fatigue calls are viewed, by my airline, as acts of personal responsibility, and you'll never be questioned for them.

I am happy to say that I've not once been given word one of guff from a scheduler about calling in sick or FTG; I know this was not how it always was, and I know this is not how it is industrywide. But fatigue calls are viewed, by my airline, as acts of personal responsibility, and you'll never be questioned for them.
As it should be. Same reaction in my boat.

Back