Pilotless Large Aircraft

RS1

Not sure if I'm beating a dead horse here, but do you think that pilot’s jobs will be replaced by technology in our lifetimes? I know some uneducated people say "Look at the facts, pilot error makes up a majority blah blah blah", well the "fact" is that the NTSB often needs "something" to point it's crooked finger at, and all too often pilot error is blamed when that is simply not the true cause. What about instrument failure? Abnormalities, etc? An autopilot would run you straight into the ground in most of those situations.

Do you see computers making these judgments given the complexities of the ever changing 3d environment and its atmospheric variables, what about diversions, decisions, etc?<o></o>
<o></o>

(I'm a private pilot that wants to start training to fly for an airline eventually, and I want to know if you think that there will still be a need for pilots in my lifetime...)

<o></o>

It will be sometime yet, so not in our lifetimes (or mine at least). Before aircraft would be done they have to prove the idea in only 2 axis. Show me a train/bus/taxi that is first. I saw a show about robotic car competion and its very funny to watch.

It will be sometime yet, so not in our lifetimes (or mine at least). Before aircraft would be done they have to prove the idea in only 2 axis. Show me a train/bus/taxi that is first. I saw a show about robotic car competion and its very funny to watch.

Good point, however I have seen those train cars at certain airports that are 'condoctorless'

Not sure if I'm beating a dead horse here, but do you think that pilot’s jobs will be replaced by technology in our lifetimes? I know some uneducated people say "Look at the facts, pilot error makes up a majority blah blah blah", well the "fact" is that the NTSB often needs "something" to point it's crooked finger at, and all too often pilot error is blamed when that is simply not the true cause. What about instrument failure? Abnormalities, etc? An autpilot would run you straight into the ground in most of those situations.

Do you see computers making these judgments given the complexities of the ever changing 3d environment and its atmospheric variables, what about diversions, decisions, etc?<o>:p</o>:p
<o>:p</o>:p

(I'm a private pilot that wants to start training to fly for an airline eventually, and I want to know if you think that there will still be a need for pilots in my lifetime...)<o>:p</o>:p

I think you'll have other things to worry about than pilotless planes. (like fuel costs for example)

unmanned
Drones, UAV, UCAV

manned
Autoland, Airbus anti-terrorist technology demonstrator, manned space vehicles...

The technology is here, but don't look for pilots to go away too soon.

The technology may come someday but I can't imagine the general public wanting to get on a pilotless aircraft.

The technology may come someday but I can't imagine the general public wanting to get on a pilotless aircraft.

You'd probably be surprised, lots of people buy into that "Pilot Error" 99% bs with no question or research on the matter...

You'd probably be surprised, lots of people buy into that "Pilot Error" 99% bs with no question or research on the matter...

Yeah I know what you mean. The thing is there would still be accidents and people would then complain about "mechanical error".

It's funny, the NTSB always blames pilots for the accidents, but we get no credit for the millions of uneventful flights. I'm going to start writing an editorial every time a plane would have crashed if a pilot hadn't done something.

It's funny, the NTSB always blames pilots for the accidents, but we get no credit for the millions of uneventful flights. I'm going to start writing an editorial every time a plane would have crashed if a pilot hadn't done something.

The NTSB skews a lot of accident reports... They blamed that 727 accident on the FO's color deficiency when the "color normal" captain and FE didn't say a word about 4 reds on the PAPI on the CVR. Political agenda...

I've heard that an aircraft company in Isreal is working on a pilotless cargo plane and that Brown has a big stake in it's development.(can anyone confirm?)
It wouldn't be suprised if we see it in our lifetime. It was only 60 some years ago that folks wouldn't get on an elevator without an operator in it.

A good example to argue against this would be when we were departing out of ACY on a Scarebus 319... The nose gear steering was messed up, and we got 1/4 down the runway (Swerving violently the whole time) before aborting and skidding/hopping to a stop... Would a computer be able to make that same decision, or perhaps there will be one person making minimum wage sitting there with a button in front of them labeled abort for these situations?

Show me a train/bus/taxi that is first.

next time you are at kden, take a ride on the train.

I dont think robots will be replacing humans anytime soon.

that's what the guys working factory lines used to say.

it will start off with cargo. people don't care if their land's end sweater crashes nearly as much as they do about the plane grandma is on. give cargo awhile, then it will be pax.

i don't think it is a good idea, but safety often becomes "safe enough" was costs are factored in.

You will see a pilotless cargo plane in the next 5-10 years.

I doubt it. Most freight companies are primarily concerned with the bottom line, do you think they have the capital to put into an airplane that doesn't need pilots? Besides, the system isn't set up for it, how does a pilotless airplane look for traffic? How does it talk on the radio? There are a lot of things that pilots do outside of the mechanical aspect of manipulating the controls that are required. UAVs? I'd see that, but truly pilotless? Slim to nil.

Further, I predict that freight companies would lose money because of all of the freight style that goes on. People bust mins, and push it to get in, people go the extra mile, and cut corners and rush so that they can get done on time, computers don't push it, they aren't flexible, and they won't try to hurry to get things done quicker. They won't do things like cancel IFR and proceed in VFR, or other things without incredible programming. I don't see it happening.

I doubt it. Most freight companies are primarily concerned with the bottom line, do you think they have the capital to put into an airplane that doesn't need pilots? Besides, the system isn't set up for it, how does a pilotless airplane look for traffic? How does it talk on the radio? There are a lot of things that pilots do outside of the mechanical aspect of manipulating the controls that are required. UAVs? I'd see that, but truly pilotless? Slim to nil.

Further, I predict that freight companies would lose money because of all of the freight style that goes on. People bust mins, and push it to get in, people go the extra mile, and cut corners and rush so that they can get done on time, computers don't push it, they aren't flexible, and they won't try to hurry to get things done quicker. They won't do things like cancel IFR and proceed in VFR, or other things without incredible programming. I don't see it happening.

Unmanned Aircraft: (In a computer voice) New York Tower, Fedex 2203 Heavy, inbound ils 27 left.
Tower: Fedex 2203 Heavy, New York Tower, go around, runway is closed.
Unmanned Aircraft: Cleared to land, 27 left/
Tower: No! Cancel, Go around!
Unmanned Aircraft: Will expedite final, 2203

lol. They still have people driving the trains that haul freight, and will for a long time, so you're right, I don't see it happening. Trains are much simpler than planes...

Unmanned Aircraft: (In a computer voice) New York Tower, Fedex 2203 Heavy, inbound ils 27 left.
Tower: Fedex 2203 Heavy, New York Tower, go around, runway is closed.
Unmanned Aircraft: Cleared to land, 27 left/
Tower: No! Cancel, Go around!
Unmanned Aircraft: Will expedite final, 2203

lol. They still have people driving the trains that haul freight, and will for a long time, so you're right, I don't see it happening. Trains are much simpler than planes...

Unable does not compute, executing landing.

Back