Pilot who survived midair collision 37 years ago learns wreckage found

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
(CNN) -- Former naval aviator Bob Besal was just 24 when his life literally took a dive.
Besal was piloting a Vought A-7C on a training mission 20 miles east of St. Augustine, Florida, more than 37 years ago when his light attack aircraft collided with another plane at 15,000 feet, sending his jet spiraling into the Atlantic. Besal ejected safely from the cockpit; his plane sank to the bottom of the ocean. The other plane limped back to base.
This month, Besal's past caught up with the present as divers found his wreckage, and the story can now be written about the people who recently found it and Besal's reaction.

Story Here: http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/22/us/pilot-wreckage/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

120822032507-bob-besal-story-top.jpg

fholbert you're claiming that the pilot pictured is Bob Besal, But the aircraft behind him says "Lt. John Tieth".

I hope for your sake that you've got a good explanation for this.

It's been explained many times that you do not necessarily get the aircraft with your name on it. Just whatever's available. I'm assuming this picture is like football picture day...everyone takes a picture in front on one helmet but the photographer is not going to set up everyone's helmet so you get your picture in front of whosever they pick first.

It's been explained many times that you do not necessarily get the aircraft with your name on it. Just whatever's available. I'm assuming this picture is like football picture day...everyone takes a picture in front on one helmet but the photographer is not going to set up everyone's helmet so you get your picture in front of whosever they pick first.

I think he's being facetious.

Well, I was willing to let this go with blaming @fholbert for this entire scandal, but now that I can see the rest of you are in on it with him, I think the investigation needs to be expanded.

Interesting story! Love the A-7!!

(CNN) -- Former naval aviator Bob Besal was just 24 when his life literally took a dive.
Besal was piloting a Vought A-7C on a training mission 20 miles east of St. Augustine, Florida, more than 37 years ago when his light attack aircraft collided with another plane at 15,000 feet, sending his jet spiraling into the Atlantic. Besal ejected safely from the cockpit; his plane sank to the bottom of the ocean. The other plane limped back to base.
This month, Besal's past caught up with the present as divers found his wreckage, and the story can now be written about the people who recently found it and Besal's reaction.

Story Here: http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/22/us/pilot-wreckage/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

120822032507-bob-besal-story-top.jpg

Back