Pilot to Dispatcher

Pedrothedog

I lost my medical due to a bout of cancer which is now in full remission. Although I am completely healthy again, I definitely won't get my medical back for a couple years at the least. Dispatch seems like a pretty reasonable option. I looked around a bit here, but didn't come across the answers I am seeking..... I'd appreciate any insight as to:
- Does ATP and 135 PIC flight experience in combination with ADX cert have a significant impact on employability? If so, how much (positive or negative) impact?
- Anyone here had similar circumstances as me care to share how their experience has gone?
- Do Dispatchers always work out of HQ, or are there remote bases?
- Anyone gone to Airline Career Training in Monterrey, CA for their ADX training?
Thanks inadvance. Trying to figure out if it's worth it or go in another direction...

I can only answer your second question based on my experiences. IN GENERAL, dispatchers will work out of either the same building as company HQ, or in a building in the same city as HQ. There have been exceptions to this over the years - Northwest used to maintain a dispatch office in Tokyo for their Asian operations (since closed) and US Airways dispatch office is in PIT, while the HQ is in Phoenix. (However, if a merger with AA occurs, all bets are off.) In any case, the best advice I can give you about the location of dispatch offices is - be prepared to move (or commute) as it's quite likely your first dispatch job offer won't be near where you currently live. I think moving is a better option (especially when you're starting out) but some people find it worth their time to commute. And whatever you decide to do, good luck with your career! Congrats on slaying the cancer beast.

My employer actually said that being a pilot helped me in getting hired. He said he'd hire a pilot over a non-pilot always. So the experience and understanding from that side of things was definitely helpful for me. Good luck to you!

You shouldn't have a problem with passing the ADX, I would suggest looking over part 65.57, you won't need the full 200 hours required.

I know the school I went too, I remember them saying that pilots have a tough time passing the course, which is false - we had 3 pilots in our class and passed with flying colors.

Good luck too you and sorry to hear about your medical issue, I hope you can get back to flying soon!

Good stuff. Thanks for the encouraging replies. Anyone care to share opinions on how hiring is going for dispatchers these days? Is the a looming retirement wave with dispatchers similar to pilots?

I will have to say that having a pilots license may help you but if your goal is to go back to flying, some companies may not hire you because they know you will be leaving.

Dispatchers do not have a mandatory retirement age - of course like any career ones sanity does come into play.

As for the hiring outlook. Seems to be in a lull right now but things can change rather quickly. Thus be prepared and as previously stated expect to move.

Back