Pilot Supplies Online

seasmoke

Any good experiences when shopping online for pilot supplies that you'd like to give a plug? So far, I've looked at AV Mart and My Pilot Shop. I'm especially interested in ones which will ship internationally. Thank you for your suggestions . . .

I'm a Marv Golden fan personally. I've gotten more than a few things from then over at http://www.marvgolden.com/. I got my David Clark headset over there at an absolute steal for it being brand new. I would have gotten my Lightspeed from there if someone was not selling one for dirt cheap at my airport.

I get a lot of maps and such from Sporty's, they seem to be better than anyone else at that.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

Oh, and we just bought Dan a headset at L.C. Flight Shop , but we did that in person so he could try them on. It's a small operation with the friendly personal touch, and I know they sell internationally, also.

Sporty's? You guys from the posh upper-east side? They like an arm and half a leg for their products.
laugh.gif

Better/Cheaper to shop locally, then, barring the shipping costs? I'm going to begin training next March -- probably in Florida for my PPL. I live abroad now and want to prepare as much as possible before hand since I teach and have a lot of time to prep. ATP says Jeppsens or Kings total private packages / CD-ROMs and or Vids. Doug recommends the Gleim books as do many others while Amazon is out of stock for new ones and has a few (5) used. All I want to do is prepare myself as much as I can before I take that first lesson (as well as the following ones). Is that possible? Or, should I just wait and play it by ear? What are the essentials in my situation and where should I get 'em? Are the CDs / DVDs worth it or should I just do what I've been doing like reading "Stick and Rudder" and becoming more confused and more enthralled by it all?

Paper or Plastic?

Peace.

I like Airways, Avshop, PilotMall, ASA, and Sportys. I hear that Vrotate.com has some pretty good deals on charts.

[ QUOTE ]

I get a lot of maps and such from Sporty's, they seem to be better than anyone else at that.

[/ QUOTE ]

MAPs?

Missed Approach Points?

Or did you mean charts.

Maps you look at charts you work with.

[ QUOTE ]
Sporty's? You guys from the posh upper-east side? They like an arm and half a leg for their products.
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

tongue.gif

Really, I like Sporty's for the charts....I just keep a subscription and they deliver them at least a day or two before they're effective. Alot better than hitting 3 or 4 airports and FBO's trying to locate an L-13 chart, because, "we don't allow our instructors to fly that far away...", or "...who in the world wants to go to Georgia??".

I would recommend Marv Golden. Got a steal for my new Flightcom Denali headset and it got shipped across the country to my house in Florida in 2 days! Talk about service
smile.gif

I have heard sporty's is good as well.

I have to 2nd the Marv Golden recommendation. Catalogs are great (and Sporty's is probably the best) but I like to see the goods in person.
When I was training in Riverside CA, we would fly down to Montgomery Field in San Diego for good mexican food and then go to Marv's (about 2 blocks from the airport).

Speaking of Marv Golden... Does anyone have any feedback on the "Marv Golden" headsets that he sells on his website?? The prices are much cheaper than some of the brand names, but I am concerned about quality and comfort. Any thoughts???

[ QUOTE ]
When I was training in Riverside CA, we would fly down to Montgomery Field in San Diego for good mexican food and then go to Marv's (about 2 blocks from the airport).

[/ QUOTE ]
2 blocks from the airport? It might be two blocks from the transient ramp, but it's adjacent to most of the T hangars on the field and across the street from the main FBO.

look at my post above about the headsets........they have excellent service and the price was hard to beat.

[ QUOTE ]
look at my post above about the headsets........they have excellent service and the price was hard to beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mentioned you got a great deal on a Denali headset. I am curious about the actual "Marv Golden" brand that he sells on his website. Since his prices are so cheap on his own "brand", I am trying to find out if you "get what you pay for". Does that make sense?? If you know of anyone that has experience w/ that brand, I would appreciate the feedback!

Many thanks!

I have a Marv Golden headset and I love it. It's very comfortable and the great part was that it was affordable. I bought it at the store at Montgomery Field. I also have a couple of friends that have the same headset. They were the ones that actually recommended the brand to me.

Back