Pilot Shortage in Russia

I lived and flew in/out of 2 of the 3 airports in Moscow last year. It was a good jump start for my career.
Keep it up FSIFLYER .....

I know I don't trust that guy. We were all cool and buddies and whatnot, but then he ran off with my woman and my rims. Bill Cosby wants a word with you, mtsu. ;)

Sprout a fro and move to mother Russia

smiley-cool15.gif

I lived and flew in/out of 2 of the 3 airports in Moscow last year. It was a good jump start for my career.
Keep it up FSIFLYER .....

Hi Pilot754, who did you fly for out here? I see you are a Hawker pilot. We have a few of them. Perhaps we met and don't know it?

EDIT...Hi Pilot754...I actually do know you! How funny is that :) I'm glad things are going well for you in the states. Take care.

I would love to go back to my home country and fly there for a living, still got a bunch of family members there, and my parents still have an apartment, practically in the center of Moscow. But I heard that to convert the licenses is a big pain in the butt, and takes forever. I would love to do what FSIFlyer is doing right now, fly great planes and live in one of the best cities in Europe, and now have to worry about all the hassle that comes along with Russian law and bureaucracy .

so anyone got any leads for a young buck trying to get around in the world and do some flying? no family, no kids, no spouse... passport in hand ready to leave today :-D

Let's see if I can recover from the thread drift I started by talking about mail-order brides:

The article mentions a "Federal Aviation Agency". I assume that's a Russian agency ? Can't imagine what the US FAA would be doing over there.

Stone Cold ?
Sorry, I must have skipped over this thread before and just saw this. I believe they are referring to the Russian Agency. The US FAA has nothing to do with a Russian aviator, for the most part. In the Ukraine, it is the Ukrainian CAA that is the FAA equivalent.

I currently live and work in Moscow. I have been here for 1.5 years now and I fly a Challenger 300 for a private company. The airplane is registered in the USA "N". In the private aviation side of things I would say 80-90% of the pilots are expats. At my company we employ only American pilots. On the airline side there is a huge demand for new pilots. Their medical exam is actually strict and involves blood work as well as stool samples believe it or not. Do not ask me why. The airlines can ONLY hire Russian and Belorussian citizens. Ukraine, Kazakhstan, and a few others has actually lifted the ban and can hire and validate FAA pilots in certain cases. Since our airplanes are "N" registered and we are not an air carrier then the Russian law does not apply to us and we can hire who we want (as long as they have an FAA license). Another big problem in Russian aviation is CRM or lack there of. I have had the experience of flying with a former Russian aviator and it was VERY different experience.

Point of my post is though that prior to this economic crisis we could not find pilots fast enough. Salaries are very high and we attract some of the best American pilots around. Obviously now we are not growing but as this "crisis" passes we will grow and once again hire more pilots. There are a few companies like mine. Some hire only Europeans and some Americans, while some mix it up. If flying out here is your goal then keep networking! A friend of mine here came from flying a king air to a Global 5000. It can be done!
I don't know about the airlines, but I do know about Bizjets in the Ukraine. I do have a Ukrainian medical and a Ukrainian validation of my FAA certs. The medical would have to be discussed over beverages, since it is impossible to describe on line without taking 3 pages to describe. It was an unbelievable experience. I do not want to ever go through it again!! The validation was just supplying my company with paperwork, so I really didn't do anything for it.

As far as our company, we also have MD-80's, and DC-9's, but I do not know if they would let somebody "upgrade" to the bigger equipment. I am in the process of getting Check Airman status here in the 60, and am now the Chief Pilot of Lear 60 operations, so I have no desire to go to the big equipment. Plus, I would probably take a pay cut to move over.:pirate: Their big jet drivers go for months in Iran (one of the Captains I know just went over there for a 3 month tour), so no thanks!!:beer:

Hi Pilot754, who did you fly for out here? I see you are a Hawker pilot. We have a few of them. Perhaps we met and don't know it?

EDIT...Hi Pilot754...I actually do know you! How funny is that :) I'm glad things are going well for you in the states. Take care.
Is it who I think it is???:bandit:
so anyone got any leads for a young buck trying to get around in the world and do some flying? no family, no kids, no spouse... passport in hand ready to leave today :-D
It's already been answered...
Network...network...network...and when you are done networking...go and network some more. Good luck.
Just so you don't think I'm being a prick about it, if you ask how to meet people who are overseas, most people come back every once in a while...ask fsiflyer how we met if you doubt me!!:pirate:

It's already been answered...Just so you don't think I'm being a prick about it, if you ask how to meet people who are overseas, most people come back every once in a while...ask fsiflyer how we met if you doubt me!!:pirate:

nah i dont think youre being a prick, its just like, im trying to "holla" in here that hey...if anyone needs someone right this second... im down to get out of here!

not sure what else would be an effective use of my time, sitting around the FBO and pestering people isnt a good look...

It's already been answered...Just so you don't think I'm being a prick about it, if you ask how to meet people who are overseas, most people come back every once in a while...ask fsiflyer how we met if you doubt me!!:pirate:

Hi StoneCold...
Yes, it is who you think it is.

I am very much open to meeting people. If some recall I always post when I will be at recurrent and at which FSI center. I don't think I can make it any more clear than that.

So here goes again. I will be at FSI Wilmington, Delaware from 9 September - 17 September for recurrent. For those that are interested in grabbing a beer (I will even buy) can contact me. Otherwise I will be on days off in Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley close to VNY) from 30 August-8 September and 18 September-29 September. There is beer in LA as well so looks like I have both coasts covered. Also, somewhere during this time I will go for a few days to PHX. When I know more I will post those days as well. Anyways, if anyone would like to grab a beer and talk about airplanes I look forward to meeting you. Fly safe everyone.

I would love to go back to my home country and fly there for a living, still got a bunch of family members there, and my parents still have an apartment, practically in the center of Moscow. But I heard that to convert the licenses is a big pain in the butt, and takes forever. I would love to do what FSIFlyer is doing right now, fly great planes and live in one of the best cities in Europe, and now have to worry about all the hassle that comes along with Russian law and bureaucracy .

Just to clarify...from my knowledge there is NO conversion of an FAA pilot certificate to a Russian one. You must go through an Aviation School (Uchelesha) to earn new ratings. To do so you must be a Russian/Belorussian citizen. This allows one to fly Russian registered (RA, RF, etc) airplanes. To fly an "N" registered airplane out here you must follow US FAA rules not the Russian ones. Do not confuse which government body has jurisdiction on specific operations.

So here goes again. I will be at FSI Wilmington, Delaware from 9 September - 17 September for recurrent. For those that are interested in grabbing a beer (I will even buy) can contact me. Otherwise I will be on days off in Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley close to VNY) from 30 August-8 September and 18 September-29 September. There is beer in LA as well so looks like I have both coasts covered. Also, somewhere during this time I will go for a few days to PHX. When I know more I will post those days as well. Anyways, if anyone would like to grab a beer and talk about airplanes I look forward to meeting you. Fly safe everyone.

Dallas has better beer... and someone that's willing to buy... :beer::D

Back