Pilot lands on highway instead of at Grand Canyon Airport

The new report is that the plane had an engine failure immediately after takeoff, and the pilot landed on the road. I don't know where the news got the idea that he landed there by accident, but our faith in humanity is safe for now - he knew it was a road. Unless journalism affects your faith in humanity.

The new report is that the plane had an engine failure immediately after takeoff, and the pilot landed on the road. I don't know where the news got the idea that he landed there by accident, but our faith in humanity is safe for now - he knew it was a road. Unless journalism affects your faith in humanity.

^ Exactly what happened.

In the interest of selling the local rag.....

Turning a non-story into an EPIC story!

I knew there had to be more to the story.

When it comes to the news media in general, I no longer expect the all the facts. When it comes to aviation in particular, I know that they'll screw up most of it and put a heavy slant on the rest.

In the interest of selling the local rag.....

Turning a non-story into an EPIC story!
Well, there's that too. :(

Um, I dont know if I missed it or something (apart from the FAA not caring) but what are the ramifications to an incident like this? OK, yea, so traffic might have been backed up, slap on the hands for that...but no life was lost.

There should be some sort of way to measure common sense and the ability to think on your feet (seat?). Fail that, and no flying for you. Seriously.

My pet peeve is pilots that can't reel in the grounding cable at a self serve pump. My feelings are if you can't refuel and properly put away the equipment (with directions) then you obviously are not qualified to fly a plane.

My pet peeve is pilots that can't reel in the grounding cable at a self serve pump. My feelings are if you can't refuel and properly put away the equipment (with directions) then you obviously are not qualified to fly a plane.
Laziness has no place in aviation, IMHO. I'll be honest... I have a tendency to 'skate' on many things. Doing as little possible to meet the requirements of whatever it is I've been tasked. I'm not proud. That said, I've never felt that way about anything to do with flying. Total stickler for safety items, checklists, and doing what needs to be done. Taking care of equipment is a big part of that.

Your peeve dovetails with a similar one of mine... when you roll up to the gas station air compressor, and the air hose is in a big rats nest on the ground, and you have to spend 5 minutes untangling the nasty arse thing before you even begin using it.

I was infuriated when I read this statement... I'll make the "educated assessment" that A.) this pilot wasn't confused, B.) there was an emergency declared on one end, and C.) mechanical failure put him into a position where he made an excellent landing on a busy highway filled with Asian tourist drivers.

'Nuff said.

Back