Pilot for 135 and doing USAF Reserve/Guard

Armarsh24

Is working at a 135 company like Ameriflight and/or Air Cargo Carriers possible while serving in USAF Guard or Reserve? Do they have a reserve system in place when someone goes for the one weekend a month/ 2 weeks a year schedule?

Say, someone goes to Travis AFB (near Oakland) and gets a reserve job there. Then, he gets hired at Ameriflight but instead of getting the Oakland base, he gets Portland. Now it appears he has to live near Portland and commute to Travis AFB for his Reserve job. So, my question is what does AMF do when this person leaves to do his reserve job? Who takes his lines?

Reference:

http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/air-force-reserve.131913/

Thanks for all the info so far!

I have a good friend at AMF who was in indoc with me who reserves for the AF. It is totally doable.

Reserve pilots. TDY pilots.

We have more pilots than aircraft at this point. It works just fine.

Requiring, and being understanding and willing are 2 different things. I had an employer that would comply, then secretly screw with you, and make you pay for it in other ways.

And, I would expect that you became familiar with the law, perhaps even spoke with your own unit leadership about issues, and lawyer'd on up. Or did you not?

You know, just like going to fly for a dirt-bag operation - putting up with a civilian employer who retaliates against you (if you have proof) is almost just as bad if you don't speak up and make it known.

In the end, I don't need my civilian employer to be understanding. They can kiss my ass. What are they? My friends?

Clearly now - I don't know WHO that employer was who would comply but retaliate against you, maybe they are one of these mom and pop small businesses who think they are Fortune 500 material. I don't know, but nevertheless, there is no place for such - from any employer.

Clearly now - I don't know WHO that employer was who would comply but retaliate against you, maybe they are one of these mom and pop small businesses who think they are Fortune 500 material. I don't know, but nevertheless, there is no place for such - from any employer.

Sounds like one of those crappy flight schools people always hear about.

Wanna be mean to poor people? Open a flight school.

Is working at a 135 company like Ameriflight and/or Air Cargo Carriers possible while serving in USAF Guard or Reserve? Do they have a reserve system in place when someone goes for the one weekend a month/ 2 weeks a year schedule?

Say, someone goes to Travis AFB (near Oakland) and gets a reserve job there. Then, he gets hired at Ameriflight but instead of getting the Oakland base, he gets Portland. Now it appears he has to live near Portland and commute to Travis AFB for his Reserve job. So, my question is what does AMF do when this person leaves to do his reserve job? Who takes his lines?

Reference:

http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/air-force-reserve.131913/

Thanks for all the info so far!
They have to give you the time off. My employer tried not hring me because of drill and they quickly reversed that decision.

They have to give you the time off. My employer tried not hring me because of drill and they quickly reversed that decision.
Some people really have no business hiring people, talking to potential employees or doing anything related to HR. As soon as that employer even mentioned the your military obligations might be a problem they almost had to hire you, even if a super qualified guy showed up for the job it would still be asking for trouble to have said that and then not hired you.

Back