pilot fired because he is muslim

[ QUOTE ]
Under the special circumstances of Islam extremists, it was probably appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops...meant to say "Under the special circumstances of 9/11 and Islam extremists being behind the terror acts, it was probably appropriate."

[ QUOTE ]
Under the special circumstances of 9/11 and Islam extremists being behind the terror acts, it was probably appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry Jace - I'm going to disagree. Using your SAME logic then, what if the 9/11 attacks were committed by white-Christian Extremists (believe me -they DO exist)? Do all white-Christian pilots then deserved to be fired from their pilot positions. No questions asked?

Think about that.

You do NOT violate a persons Civil Liberties based on their religion, color.... anything.

The airline has the burden of proof here. Seeing how most Muslm's don't drink - their reason for firing him is quite week.

[ QUOTE ]
The airline has the burden of proof here. Seeing how most Muslm's don't drink - their reason for firing him is quite week.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 9/11 hijackers/murderers spent their last few nights in a strip club....SO what's YOUR point?

[ QUOTE ]
Under the special circumstances of 9/11 and Islam extremists being behind the terror acts, it was probably appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zeig Hile, mien furor.

Maybe in 1940's Germany this would be "appropriate," or the USSR between the late '40s and late '80s, but this is still the U.S. and we have two little documents that make this kind of $#*&^ illegal - the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

And those two documents (and our adherence to them) is what sets us apart from nations like Iraq, North Korea, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
The 9/11 hijackers/murderers spent their last few nights in a strip club....SO what's YOUR point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Were they drinking? I'm safe in saying that Al Quaida's hate of women for anything other than sex is quite well documented - so, how was that out of Character?

I think we can agree that the 9/11 terroist do NOT repesent the Muslim religion as a whole. They were - E-X-T-R-E-M-I-S-T.

It's that kind of attitude that got the Muslim Pilot fired, chunk. That "well, if THOSE guys were Muslim - He MUST be a terrorist too" line of thinking.

Aaah.. well I think I was wrong saying that. That is very true - America is a non-discrimate country, at least we should strive to keep it that way.

Pilot 602,

Very well said, indeed!!!

Finally, something you and I agree on
smile.gif

I'm definitely not condoning the firing, but I know several practicing Muslims, well 6 Muslims, and they all drink. 4 are from Saudi Arabia and the other 2 or from Egypt. All moved with parents when children.

This is crazy. I guess we better fire all white male pilots, too, especially those with a military background, because after all, that's Timothy McVeigh!

If we're not going to do that, then we should not be firing this guy. Islam is a huge religion, and 99 percent of the people practicing it do not advocate slaughtering the innocent, including the guy who got fired.

I seriously doubt an airline would fire a pilot JUST for practicing Islam. They must have had other reasons.

The Taliban's view of women was a negative one, but not one that allowed men to watch half-naked ones. You'll see a lot of religious folks "forget" their beliefs when not surrounded by peers that expect certain behaviors. It certainly isn't limited to Muslims.

I don't think a pilot should be fired JUST for being Muslim. I agree with viper...there has to be more to the story. If not, reinstate the guy!

Chunk

Considering the MASSIVE layoffs we are all well aware of, has it occured to anybody that this guy was fired because of budgetary concerns? Considering he was only a 7-month pilot this would put him at the ASS-end of the seniority list!

I think one of a few things is happening here (or a combination):
1) Although not stated in the article, this guy is going to try and sue for discrimination, defamation of character, emotional distress, you name it...and try to get big $$$

2) The media is sensationalizing this for a headline..."Pilot upset because he is layed off and wants his job back" doesn't exactly attract any attention!!!

3) He wants his 15 minutes....

I agree totally with crim_sp on this one. I very seriously doubt than any business especially an airline would fire someone for religion or race. Airlines depend on the support of all countries, all races, all religions, and all nationalities, i really dont think an airline would shoot themselves in the foot bye firing this guy.

[ QUOTE ]
I very seriously doubt than any business especially an airline would fire someone for religion or race.

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif

Yeah, and I'm sure Denny's served those Secret Service guys with the utmost in care and attention a few years back.

Or, Adam's Mark hotels didn't, within the past few years, lose a major discrimination lawsuit.

Or, (edit)University of Michigain's admissions standards aren't up for review by the U.S. Supreme Court. (This one is kind of the opposite of the above, but it still deals with unfair treatment based on race, color etc.)

Or ...

[ QUOTE ]

Or, Michigain State University's admissions standards aren't up for review by the U.S. Supreme Court.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was the University of Michigan.

It is the University of Michigan. A bunch of other university's are tagging their names onto U of M's lawsuit because their policy's mirror Michigan's. But Michigan's admissions policy's go a lot deeper than what you're hearing on the news. Read through their admissions guidelines sometime and you'll understand what I mean (let's just say Michigan just opened up a pandora's box for college sports with this one). I was thinking of transfering there into their political science program so I read through all that crud a little while back.

Watch out mistaking Michigan and Michigan State, I think that could get ya shot in some parts of this state
smile.gif

Cheers

John Herreshoff

I was under the impression that all state schools had the same admission policies governed by a board of regents. This not true?

I used to work for Trans States, they had 140 pilots on furlough when I left. Trans States is owned by an Arab, I think, Hulas Kanoda(sp)
TSA canned a bunch of pilots at that time.

Back