Pilot Fatigue

Question

"We believe the current work rule hours are sufficient and effective. It's really up to the pilots and up to the airlines to ensure pilots are properly rested."

Ian Gregor
FAA
Pacific Region

Then why even have the rules, Ian?

* * *​

What the reporter says at the end really is essential for pilots to understand. If you are assigned a schedule that you do not think is safe in regards to cumulative fatigue then submit an ASAP report and a NASA form.

You aren't going to get in trouble for it because you don't have to say that you flew in a physical state that you should not have. But putting the dozens of schedules per week in front of an FAA representative on an ASAP Event Review Committee is the first step in solving this problem which clearly will never go away unless there is an enormous push for the FAA to do something. They do not care and they will not care and they will continue to lie about caring about it.

Nevermind the fact that you call in tired too many times and you may get fired, and if you want to fly for an airline again, you get to go back to year one pay somewhere else, IF you can get on with someone else..... F-ing armchair quarterbacks...

Nevermind the fact that you call in tired too many times and you may get fired, and if you want to fly for an airline again, you get to go back to year one pay somewhere else, IF you can get on with someone else..... F-ing armchair quarterbacks...

You probably shouldn't work there, then. If I worked for a company that would over work me and then fire me, I wouldn't work there anymore.

I have never understood how any reasonably intelligent person could look at 16 hour duty day, followed my a minimum rest overnight, and say "Yep, sounds good to me." But of course, the rules are made by people who work 8-5 and and sleep in their own beds every night.

I also don't understand why the FAA is balking at change the rules to something more reasonable. The research is there, the NTSB has made the reccomendation, what's holdinig you back?

I have never understood how any reasonably intelligent person could look at 16 hour duty day, followed my a minimum rest overnight, and say "Yep, sounds good to me."

That is why I file an ASAP report every time that happens, if I have time.

I hope I am not the only one that does this; anyone that complains about fatigue that doesn't do this should do this first and then complain.

If your CP doesn't accept "fatigue" as an acceptable excuse, just say you're hung over.

People never adapt to less sleep, they just loose their ability to recognize their decrease in performance.

Back