Pilot deliberately crashed his airliner....unbelievable!!

Federal Express Flight 705 - though he wasn't part of the crew that day because of a duty time issue the previous day. He ended up deadheading instead and tried to take the plane down. Fortunately in this case, he didn't succeed.

Federal Express Flight 705 - though he wasn't part of the crew that day because of a duty time issue the previous day. He ended up deadheading instead and tried to take the plane down. Fortunately in this case, he didn't succeed.
I have no idea what the Company or the Union had in place for LTD for those guys, but I really hope Fred made sure they were taken care of.

Didn't see this one coming when I heard about the accident. Terrible.

Heavy debate on this one to this day, but this is another possible one in more recent times.

Didn't see this one coming when I heard about the accident. Terrible.

Heavy debate on this one to this day, but this is another possible one in more recent times.

The way that accident went down was pretty similar to many of the 737 rudder accidents and incidents that had been happening. I guess its hard for me to accept that a captain who was having financial troubles would do something to this extent. Why not just jump from the overnight hotel window? Im also not convinced the Egypt Air crash was deliberate.

Last edited:
The way that accident went down was pretty similar to many of the 737 rudder accidents and incidents that had been happening. I guess its hard for me to accept that a captain who was having financial troubles would do something to this extent. Why not just jump from the overnight hotel window? Im also not convinced the Egypt Air crash was deliberate.
Well, there is the suspicious CVR circut breaker issue along with the other stuff they found out about the CA. The NTSB seemed pretty confident that an uncommanded rudder deflection wasn't the issue. If I were a very smart and suicidal 737 pilot and I knew my airplane had a not-so-distant history of uncommanded rudder deflections and that, while pulling the breaker is supicious, with no CVR and the plane in millions of peices, it'd be hard to impossible to prove the plane rolling inverted wasn't and accident and take that $3 million from my family. Just sayin'.

I dont know, seems a bit of a stretch for me but who knew how bad this pilots mental state was. I suppose its possible but pilots pulling breakers for whatever reasons wasnt unheard of after the NWA 255 crash.

I dont know, seems a bit of a stretch for me but who knew how bad this pilots mental state was. I suppose its possible but pilots pulling breakers for whatever reasons wasnt unheard of after the NWA 255 crash.
Yeah but that was a warning horn vs. a CVR and FDR...I don't know, that one fact just sounds intensely suspicious to me. Even more so when I learned he had been in trouble for doing it before. The only other time I ever read about a pilot pulling the CVR breaker was FedEx 705. The jumpseater pulled it while the F/E, who reset it upon noticing it, was doing his walk around. And we all know why that was...

Why not Egyptair

Last edited by a moderator:
Back