Piedmont Flight Training at KINT (Winston-Salem, NC)

DeltaAVL

Anyone know anything about these guys? Looking around the triangle (minus RDU) - this looks like the only show anywhere near.. Was surprised to see that GSO doesn't have a flight school. Anyone know of one at GSO?

Anyway, just looking for some information, because it looks like I'll be ending up at UNC-Greensboro come fall. w00t!

http://triadairinc.clearwire.net/

Thanks.

There are a few flight schools in Greensboro. There is one on Airport Rd. off
of W. Market St. Can't recall the name right now but I will get it for you. Also
Air Harbor airport has a flight school.

Hey, I used to instruct about an hour south of there.
There are a ton of schools is that neck of the woods.

on the outskirts of town there is:
Carolina flight in Lexington. KEXX. - Nice facility and less then five minutes from the practice area, no clue about planes and prices.

KBUY also has a shop, i don't know anything about it though.

Good luck in the Fall.

I first started my flight training at "Piedmont Flight Center" at INT back in 1996, before it was merged or taken over my Triad Air.

Triad Air was pretty good to me in the past when i was pretty much a renter, i flew the 172's-and they were always in good condition. The owners like aviation, they are not just in it for $$$$. Sandy, one of the owners, was always nice and pleasant to talk too.
They are also where I took all my CATS exams for each stage of my training.

But by 2000 i was flying with "Greensboro Aviation" which was the only school on the field in GSO. I believe since then, they are gone. Not sure what is left on the field now.

One good school is up at Riedsville/Shilo, just north/northwest of GSO called Penguin Aviation, a small flight school with great instructors, i did my commercial/multi with them. The prices are pretty reasonable, and they have some package plans (like the multi).
http://penguinaviation.com/
Both Tom (owner) and Roger are awesome guys, and very nice to work with.

There are a few flight schools in Greensboro. There is one on Airport Rd. off
of W. Market St. Can't recall the name right now but I will get it for you. Also Air Harbor airport has a flight school.
Really? If you can get the names that'd be awesome, because I can't find a flight training school on the PTI field online for the life of me..

Douglas said:
Hey, I used to instruct about an hour south of there.
There are a ton of schools is that neck of the woods.

on the outskirts of town there is:
Carolina flight in Lexington. KEXX. - Nice facility and less then five minutes from the practice area, no clue about planes and prices.

KBUY also has a shop, i don't know anything about it though.

Good luck in the Fall.
Yeah, I know about Carolina Flight. Seems like a pretty good operation but I think I'll need to be closer. Preferably somewhere under a 30 min drive. I just took a look at Burlington Aviation (@ KBUY) and I like the looks of it. BUT, it's a Cessna Pilot Center. I'm at one now at AVL and I feel like I should steer clear of them because of cost. My private training is costing me a fortune - gonna end up being around $9,000 for just the pvt at my current school. Does that seem a little high to anyone else?

NC_BE300 said:
I first started my flight training at "Piedmont Flight Center" at INT back in 1996, before it was merged or taken over my Triad Air.

Triad Air was pretty good to me in the past when i was pretty much a renter, i flew the 172's-and they were always in good condition. The owners like aviation, they are not just in it for $$$$. Sandy, one of the owners, was always nice and pleasant to talk too.
They are also where I took all my CATS exams for each stage of my training.

But by 2000 i was flying with "Greensboro Aviation" which was the only school on the field in GSO. I believe since then, they are gone. Not sure what is left on the field now.

One good school is up at Riedsville/Shilo, just north/northwest of GSO called Penguin Aviation, a small flight school with great instructors, i did my commercial/multi with them. The prices are pretty reasonable, and they have some package plans (like the multi).
http://penguinaviation.com/
Both Tom (owner) and Roger are awesome guys, and very nice to work with.
Yeah, Greensboro Aviation is gone. Just took a look at Penguin Aviation. Like the looks of it - as you said, prices look quite reasonable.

My private training is costing me a fortune - gonna end up being around $9,000 for just the pvt at my current school. Does that seem a little high to anyone else?

Yes and no, it is on par for some places in the area, but you can find cheaper if you keep looking. The place I am thinking of is too far away south for you to drive.

\

Yeah, Greensboro Aviation is gone. Just took a look at Penguin Aviation. Like the looks of it - as you said, prices look quite reasonable.

I dont know if it makes a difference for you or not, but Penguin Aviation has a Cherokee (if you prefer to use that product) or a Cessna 152.
The multiengine plane i used for training was a Cessna 310-but i'm not sure if its still around anymore-that was back in 2002-3 when i was there.
But the guys are nice there, and are usually pretty flexible with schedules, etc. I still talk to the owner there occasionally.

Yes and no, it is on par for some places in the area, but you can find cheaper if you keep looking. The place I am thinking of is too far away south for you to drive.
Well, when I was seeking out a flight school in the Hendersonville/Asheville area, I chose WNC Aviation at AVL as opposed to Aerolina at 0A7 (Hendersonville) because of WNC Aviation's professionalism, the controlled airspace, and the newer planes. I went in knowing it was gonna be more expensive and am starting to think it was a mistake...

NC_BE300 said:
I dont know if it makes a difference for you or not, but Penguin Aviation has a Cherokee (if you prefer to use that product) or a Cessna 152.
The multiengine plane i used for training was a Cessna 310-but i'm not sure if its still around anymore-that was back in 2002-3 when i was there.
Their site says they do multi-engine training, so they've got to have something, although their fleet page doesn't list anything...
And I've been flying around brand new 172SPs so I think anything older than 3 or 4 years is going to be a pretty big switch.
Also, sent an email to Piedmont and Sandy sent me a nice reply. They seem like a nice bunch.

Here is the flight school at GSO I was telling you about: http://www.flytaa.com/Default.html Its not cheap though, they use Liberty XL-2 for training and they are $118.00 per hour plus the instructor who costs $40.00 per hour.
Ah, thanks. Definitely didn't know about them. I'm actually paying $119/$50 now, so it'd be a bit of a price break, but still... I'll have to wait until I get my rates info from these other places before really deciding, I suppose. Is there any foreseen problem with going with a school like TAA, who I assume is just getting on its feet?

GSO would definitely be the most convenient option if I could make it work..

I used to instruct over at Piedmont. It's a good group of people over there. The planes are well maintained too. If your going to UNCG yeah GSO would definately be closer, but INT isn't that much further.

Their site says they do multi-engine training, so they've got to have something, although their fleet page doesn't list anything...
And I've been flying around brand new 172SPs so I think anything older than 3 or 4 years is going to be a pretty big switch.
Also, sent an email to Piedmont and Sandy sent me a nice reply. They seem like a nice bunch.

The 172SP is a nice plane. I started my training in older 152's, 172's, and also flew the older Cherokee products. When i moved for college in FL was when i started flying the 172SP's and R's on a more regular basis at the time....i was hooked and amazed at how nice they are at the time. But now, i still regularly fly an old 152-its a return to basics and not to mention alot cheaper.

At Triad Air when i left, they had a 172R that was a 1999 model if i'm not mistaken. It was a blast to fly-that was actually the first "newish" single i flew back in 2002.

Back