Pictures OFF the road. . .

Cheechako

A friend of mine went camping up in the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park where there are several little gravel airstrips with free public use cabins. He couldn't get his family plus his gear in one trip in his 185. I got to ride along going to pick up the remainder of his gear.

PICT0136.jpg

^^ Kennecott Copper Mine

PICT0143.jpg

^^ The airstrip is up this valley. We flew up the valley on a downwind, made a tight base and final to land opposite direction.

PICT0145.jpg

^^ You can see the airstrip on the right side of the valley

PICT0146.jpg

PICT0156.jpg

^^ On final

PICT0158.jpg

^^ Shadow Shot

PICT0159.jpg

^^ Short Final

PICT0165.jpg

^^ Cabin

PICT0164.jpg

^^ View from the "throne room" (outhouse!)

PICT0171.jpg

^^ Bear claw marks on the front door.

PICT0161.jpg

^^ Cessna 185

PICT0162.jpg

PICT0180.jpg

PICT0173.jpg

^^ View up the airstrip

PICT0184.jpg

PICT0206.jpg

^^ Big glacier somewhere on the way home

PICT0233.jpg

^^ Knik Glacier near Palmer

Man, I have to fly up in Alaska sometime! It sure would be a nice change from flat Florida! Awesome pics, looks like a nice adventure!

Amazing pictures:drool:

With all this nice weather we have been having I have really been wanting to just go up and go flying:(

Impressive! Well off the beaten path, that's for sure. I'd love to do something like that.

Interesting picture of the bear claw marks...

My uncle used to do that kind of flying prior to his short stint on the 1900 at Mark Air.

He said this one time, he was flying a group into an Inuit villiage, (I cannot recall the name, it was a gravel strip) and after he touched down, they were unloading some things and another plane started to takeoff. Well, I don't know what happened but that other plane mustve clipped a wing but it went cartwheeling down the runway. Noone was killed, but out from the wreckage stepped these two Alaska natives who non-chalantly came up to my uncle and asked him to fly them to their destination.

I just thought it was quite something that they were unphased by the crash.

Anyhow, the pictures just made me think of that.

:)

Back