Picking a flight school? need experienced advice!

My vote goes to the older airplanes. You will save some money, learn more about airplane systems or lack of and possibly get a job down the road.

If you can work out the weight and balance and make sure you're below max gross for each flight (and you don't live in the mountains or the south...), I say go for the 150/152. I did my entire private in 150's and 152's and loved it! Yeah, no fantanstic climb rates, and stalls were pretty much nothing....but it still did the job! I guess I weighed....well, I was about 185 then (get out of the Marine Corps and it's so hard to make myself go run!!!), and my CFI was a good 210. So, depending on the radios in the aircraft....it's possible.

The best part about it : After I was done, I got checked out in a 172 in .7 on the hobbs, and I might as well have been flying a Learjet!!!

If your in the Denver area I'll add a pitch for my old flight school Aspen at APA. As of three years ago they had a large fleet of old and new 172s (take your pick) as well as a sprinkling of pipers and new katanas. They also hired CFIs from within, had some great expierenced instructors and about 5 twins that actually saw a decent amount of instruction. I always thought the rates were reasonable.
Check them out.

Tim what is up? I was in the same exact situation as you were about a month ago. I decided to really focus on two variables, namely, the quality of flight instruction and the cost. Luckily, I found an awesome instuctor and a FBO who flies the 172s and 152s for reasonable prices. I decided to go with the 152s because it is a lot cheaper and it will save me a lot of me down the road. I also think some FBOs have introductory flights for like 40 dollars or something like that, this will allow you to gauge which aircraft you like. Good luck man.
Jeremy

Thanks again for all your help you guys, I'm leaning toward the school that is a bit more expensive (just a couple hundred dollars) but I will be using their older aircraft. From what I can gather at this point it looks like they are usually available for use. The four older 172s they have rent for $74/hr and they also have two 152s that go for $52/hr. The other less expensive school has some hidden charges that actually makes them cost about the same. I just think I will have a better chance of getting higher quality instruction there. Plus they have very nice facilities, a fancy study area and classrooms, along with their own weather center (im a weather nut). They just seem a little more professional to me. I will ask around at the school a bit more as I am in no rush at this point but at least i have a favorite.

Thanks again for all your help you guys, you brought up some excellent points and i will definetly stay away from the brand new airplanes till at least my instrument.

happy flying!

Tim

Back