PIC time for a Helicopter Commercial Addon

It is PIC rotorcraft they look at. Most insurance companies require the 200 PIC Rotor.
Shane

Wow- so a commerical add-on and CFI-H which leaves you with very little rotorcraft PIC, is going to leave me lacking a large amout of PIC time.
I guess you have to either buy the time, buy a helicopter, or do what you did, and scrape hours together where ever you can.
Sounds rough.

I found a place in LA that has really cheap turbine time. I am thinking about headed out that way next month as I need about 50 hrs to meet 135 mins to fly tours.
Shane

Is the turbine time required for 135, or is that just what decent companies are requiring now-a-days?

It is not required or preferred just I found it cheaper than a 22 at this point. The CFII market is really tough right now. So since I have to pay for hours I figured I would make it worth something. I am hoping to find a tour gig this summer in a 44 or 206.
Shane

So if you have a fair amount of FW PIC, the insurance companies won't give you any credit for those hours?

That's a shame if they don't, i would really like to do my add-on someday. I would need to be employable though.

The issue with a turbine is being able to start it w/o torching the engine. If you are paying to fly straight and level in the left seat it may not have much value.

I have some ec 120 time. I am looking for just some time to add the different aircraft to my logbook that and its cheaper than a 22. The start is always the scariest part for me. I thought I was gonna cook one in TX during the summer. Luckily I was able to shut it off before it limited. Gotta respect the start. Once you hit that micro switch better be ready to shut it down.

So if you have a fair amount of FW PIC, the insurance companies won't give you any credit for those hours?

That's a shame if they don't, i would really like to do my add-on someday. I would need to be employable though.
Once you do your add-on, I think you might understand why they don't.

Once you do your add-on, I think you might understand why they don't.

yeah, I have already flown one and understand that helicopters are harder to fly, but thanks for the heads up.

I took an hour lesson and on part of it he gave me three opportunities to hover over the runway. It took all of a few seconds before we were spinning in a why I didn't want. :D

I was talking easier to learn... but now that you mention it, probably easier for employment as well.

Back