phoria...ok, but how about tropia ?

FX34

Hello Dr. Forred and first of all, thank you for your precious help on this website.

We all know that this topic has been discussed over and over again but, how about exo/esoTROPIA? We know the norms... 6prisms of esoPHORIA. To remain clear, tropia means the fusion is broken and your brain NEVER fuses both of your eyes' pictures, is that right sir? (can include a neutralization of the twisted eye's picture by blurring it to prevent diplopia but means no binocular vision/no stereoscopic vision).

Here are the questions:

1) What if we have an esoTROPIA, can we still get a 1st class if we do not experience diplopia?

2) If not, can we still go through a MFT?

3) If there's a diplopia in any part of the visual field, is it still possible to get a MFT? (I believe it is, since someone on these forums requested one and successfully obtained his 1st class, congratulations to him by the way).

Thank you again for your help Dr. :hiya:

Thanks a lot for your answer Sir.:panic:

I have a last doubt in my mind which is, wherever the diplopia is in the visual field, we still have to go through a MFT to get a first class, right?
Or does it depends on the AME?

Once again, thanks a lot.

:hiya:

Thanks a lot for your answer Sir.:panic:

I have a last doubt in my mind which is, wherever the diplopia is in the visual field, we still have to go through a MFT to get a first class, right?
Or does it depends on the AME?

Once again, thanks a lot.

:hiya:

What you need to do is have an eye doctor complete a Form 8500-7 and submit that to the AME at the time of the medical. The FAA will decide if they will pass you or you need to do a MFT.

Thank you doctor, I'm going to see an optometrist and opthalmologist tomorow, so we'll see what they say.

Thanks again.

Quick question about phorias I thought would ask here instead of starting a new thread. Had trouble with the test at the AME and went to an eye doctor with the proper form. The FAA sent me a letter a few weeks later saying everything was fine and that my medical is still valid. I am obviously going to have the same problem at the AME again with the eye test. Am I required to go see an opthamologist every year now to get 8500-7 filled out?

Quick question about phorias I thought would ask here instead of starting a new thread. Had trouble with the test at the AME and went to an eye doctor with the proper form. The FAA sent me a letter a few weeks later saying everything was fine and that my medical is still valid. I am obviously going to have the same problem at the AME again with the eye test. Am I required to go see an opthamologist every year now to get 8500-7 filled out?

What was the trouble at the AME's?

I have trouble with looking into the machine with the music notes and telling which number is over the note. When I had trouble with that the AME said I need to get 8500-7. The eye doctor said i am over the limit of 6 the FAA likes, but I have no diplopia.

Back