Phenom 300E

dustoff17

Still trying to reach the Top Shelf
Our Company is looking to buy a Phenom 300E. Any insight on this plane would be helpful.
Thank you!

I had not heard of the 300E, but the audience might widen with the knowledge that it includes an upgrade from a Garmin G1000:

Phenom 300E
In 2018, Embraer has launched upgraded Phenom 300E, featuring redesigned interior, new avionics suite (Garmin-G3000-based Prodigy Touch), and Ground Power Mode for engines.

2020 Phenom 300E
In 2020, an upgraded Phenom 300E was announced, featuring upgraded PW535E1 engines, with thrust increased to 3,478 lbf (from 3,360 lbf); maximum speed has increased to Mach 0.80 from 0.78 (464 vs. 446 kn), and range increased to 2,010 nmi (from 1,992 nmi). Avionics improvements include predictive wind shear awareness, stabilized approach, and an Embraer-developed runway overrun awareness and alerting system (ROAAS). In addition, Bossa Nova interior option became available.

If you’re set on it, check on training dates as far out as possible. From what I hear, there have been issues in the past.

I had not heard of the 300E, but the audience might widen with the knowledge that it includes an upgrade from a Garmin G1000:
I hadn't either until he started looking. The "E" stands for enhanced. Airframe and exterior stayed the same; inside completely remodeled

Last edited:
I like working on Embraer airplanes, once you figure out their online manuals it becomes very intuitive, even better than Gulfstream IMHO. The absolute best feature of their manuals is that when you log in to access the library for the airplane you're working on you're required to enter the model and serial numbers, since they outfit the airplanes in house the manuals and parts list are automatically filtered so you only see info that relates to your airplane. It may seem trivial to the flight crew, but when something benign like the owners seat drink rail switch panel gets a martini spilled on it and gives up the ghost it makes it a lot easier to at least order the part. I've been able to get part numbers for coffee makers and microwaves without having to dig back into the aircraft records. Bombardier and Gulfstream are catching up though.

Bossa Nova interior?
tenor.gif

Phenom seems to have not gone well for the RAF.

ZM336 Embraer E500 Phenom 100 of the Royal Air Force stored at RAF Waddington 22/8/18, after a mid-air collision with ZM335 during a practice formation flight.
It has since been repaired.

I hadn't either until he started looking. The "E" stands for enhanced. Airframe and exterior stayed the same; inside completely remodeled
E is fancier interior plus I think that's about where they changed the MMO from .78 to .80.
It's a nice comfortable airplane in the back for the size. Nicer than CJ3/CJ4.
Up front - QS won't put anyone taller than 6' up there, it's tight in the legroom department. Decent headroom though. There is a STC that allows the removal of the document cabinets and gives you a bit more legroom I believe, but I've never flown those.
Performance wise it's a good plane. Full boat and fuel about 20 minutes to FL450. Decent legs. Flies nice. Gotta learn to use the brakes the phenom way, but once you do, work like a charm.
Any particular questions- ask. I flew non -E G3000 planes.

Would it be a good airframe to pursue if one wanted to do very part time (like maybe 4 or 5 days a month) contract flying. Wondering how many of them are out there and not owner flown.

E is fancier interior plus I think that's about where they changed the MMO from .78 to .80.
It's a nice comfortable airplane in the back for the size. Nicer than CJ3/CJ4.
Up front - QS won't put anyone taller than 6' up there, it's tight in the legroom department. Decent headroom though. There is a STC that allows the removal of the document cabinets and gives you a bit more legroom I believe, but I've never flown those.
Performance wise it's a good plane. Full boat and fuel about 20 minutes to FL450. Decent legs. Flies nice. Gotta learn to use the brakes the phenom way, but once you do, work like a charm.

I believe I have read that Netjets chose to shrink the flight deck in favor of a larger passenger cabin. I am 6'4" and flew the 100 for a year and half. While it was tight, I think I may have actually had more room than I do in the Lear 45 that I fly now. Or maybe it was just that I was younger and didn't mind as much.

Would it be a good airframe to pursue if one wanted to do very part time (like maybe 4 or 5 days a month) contract flying. Wondering how many of them are out there and not owner flown.

There is a very strong market for contract Phenom pilots. The 100 and 300 are separate type ratings (they considered combining them at one point, but CAE put their foot down saying no).

“CAE”???

At the time, they were the only training facility for the Phenom. The FAA was evaluating combining the types and having pilots trained in one plane take a simulator eval in the other. One of the two sims could work as either plane. CAE refused to take on the liability of an owner getting typed on the 100 and then deciding to jump to the 300. Are the systems and flight deck nearly identical? Yes. Are there significant performance differences? Also yes.

Or so the story went back in 2012 when I went through initial.

At the time, they were the only training facility for the Phenom. The FAA was evaluating combining the types and having pilots trained in one plane take a simulator eval in the other. One of the two sims could work as either plane. CAE refused to take on the liability of an owner getting typed on the 100 and then deciding to jump to the 300. Are the systems and flight deck nearly identical? Yes. Are there significant performance differences? Also yes.

It’s not the stupidest reason I’ve heard for combining or not combining types. There is no logic in that process.

CAE refused to take on the liability of an owner getting typed on the 100 and then deciding to jump to the 300. Are the systems and flight deck nearly identical? Yes. Are there significant performance differences? Also yes.

Yea...”liability.” I’m sure it was that and not that they’d then miss out on getting another $25k.

Do things still go wonky when you lose GPS?

I don't know. I think it is very popular with the charter/share outfits, but no idea of the numbers "in the wild". It was initially marketed as an owner operator airplane, but I think it requires a bit more proficient pilot than, say, CE525 series, so not sure if many are owner flown

I believe I have read that Netjets chose to shrink the flight deck in favor of a larger passenger cabin. I am 6'4" and flew the 100 for a year and half. While it was tight, I think I may have actually had more room than I do in the Lear 45 that I fly now. Or maybe it was just that I was younger and didn't mind as much.
Never flown a 100. 300 flies farther though and we did 3+ hr legs regularly. At 5'10" I needed to be one click forward of the aft stop to get any kind of recline in. And the arm rests were designed by the aliens.

Demoed both versions of the 300E. Embraer definitely is listening to their customers. The new 300E has the latest G3000 updates and a cockpit that doesn’t make my 6’4” frame angry. Great plane.

Embraer also knows they have the market cornered with Pilatus having a limited order book, Lear cutting the 75, and Cessna doing Textron things to the CJ4 and have it priced accordingly. At least for us they weren’t in deal-making mode.

Back