Perspectives of life and such....

CaptBill

As most of us know, or should know, how we interpret and react to any given situation is likely governed by our unique view and perspective of it. As I find myself occasionally struggling to define my view of life and circumstances, I sometimes find it helpful to take an introspective peek at the world I live in from time to time.

An internet search on "poverty" will reveal that most of the world's people are poorer than we are. Some are so poor, their total fortunes amount to about as much as they can carry and defend. It's widely reported than millions live on less than a dollar a day, and millions more have nothing at all. It should not be lost on us that on any given day we can read about large populations of people who are suffering through horrific living conditions or circumstances that in all likelihood none of us will ever experience.

I am guilty at times of losing perspective on life. I find myself thinking about things like how big my next Plasma TV should be, or wondering if I should go with the 17" or 20" rims on my truck or where I would like to vacation next year. I am terribly guilty of thinking I deserve what I have and even guiltier of thinking I need more. As a society we have become accustomed to a lifestyle that most of the world's population will never get a glimpse of, much less experience.

Does that mean we don't strive to achieve? Of course not, but I think we need to recognize our incredible fortune in living where we do and having what we have. With this recognition also comes the responsibility and understanding of where we fall on humanity's food chain. If you don't believe we are at the top, you need to study world history and explore populations who live in China, Russia, Africa and many others. We are indeed a fortunate lot.

As fortunate as we are just being Americans, we are even more blessed as a community. As an aviation family we are uniquely different than most. We walk into strange environments and see, hear, feel, smell, taste and generally sense way more about what's really going on around us more than most people on Earth. Think all that just goes away when you leave your airplane or workplace? It doesn't. It follows you home and wakes up with you the next day. It watches the sun rise, smells the morning air in your neighborhood, tastes your breakfast, hears the birds, and the leaves rustling on the trees in your front yard, and feels the embrace of someone who loves you more than anyone else in the whole world. Day after day, if we allow it to do so, it becomes a source of joy in our lives.

We all know people who encounter all these things but never experience them, and who rarely experience any joy at all. Instead, they wake up at four in the morning because that's when their alarm clocks go off. They brush their teeth and put on a pot of coffee. They dress themselves in the same old clothes , eat the same old soggy cereal and spend the morning wondering to themselves if there is anything in life they hate worse than their job. They somehow make it to work, put in their time, do a lot of stuff that doesn't seem to matter, come home, eat dinner, go to bed and then start all over again. They feel no pain, but they feel no joy - they're barely alive. Millions and millions of people live like this every day and we should all stay motivated to avoid falling prey to this living hell.

To all my friends on JC, which is everybody, I would like to offer up a challenge. As you wake up every morning, I would like to encourage you to work on defining your own healthy perspective on life. It's easier said than done, but I promise you it will provide you with deeper meaning regarding compassion, understanding and living in general. Challenge yourself to look at life from the perspective of what you can contribute, rather than what is owed to you. Attempt to see life through an orphans eyes who is living with hunger and disease or worse. Take advantage of, or better yet, create opportunities that will allow others to benefit from your compassion and generosity.

I am very much aware of the struggles many face living this aviation dream. Whether you work at traffic reporting, flight attendant, pipeline patrol, flight instructing, mechanic, air ambulance, check flying, hauling freight, agricultural or are in your early years at your first regional airline, chances are you struggle financially. It becomes very easy to focus on your individual needs because frankly, there are many.

That said, find ways to give back with whatever resources you possess. As much as we would all like a little more money in our paychecks, I have to say, I never met a good pilot in any capacity who was poor. Not exactly.

Outstanding post, CalCapt. A little perspective goes a long way.

Here's something personal I can add:

Yesterday, after the second day of a two day trip that already had be dragging, I was extended. The extra turn was a short one, but it put me right up against the maximum legal limit for flight time in a day and my maximum contractual duty day. I was already a bit tired. Not tired enough to be incapable of accepting the extension, but tired enough to be more than a little annoyed by not getting to go home.

I shuffled through the terminal, passed my gate, and wandered into the nearby McDonald's for something to eat before my flight. While I munched at my my fatty carbs, I watched people walk by. A particularly striking brunette wandered in line. I sat and wished that she'd see me in my crisp white shirt and ask to share my table. Uniforms equal safety, I figured.

No dice.

Right about then, an older gentleman in an old t-shirt, jeans, and faded ballcap walked over. He was carrying a cheap nylon gym bag and his McDonald's calories. He looked straight at me and asked, "Mind if I share your table, First Officer?"

I consented, and my eyebrow raised. "Not too many travelers can tell a First Officer from a Captain. Most wouldn't make the distinction."

I was not in the company of the unknowing that time. He confided in me that he was a proud owner of a Cessna 182, but he didn't get to fly her anymore because he couldn't hold a medical. Cancer had taken most of his right ear, and he had limited hearing in his left. He added that he missed it terribly and envied people like me that "wore the bars" and "got to drive the bus". His wil, regretful tone really showed how much he missed flying.

We chatted about other things and where we were going and whatnot, and my time to dawdle ran out. I bid him goodbye and set out for my gate.

I was still a bit tired, but my mood had certainly eased. My passing encounter with this seasoned gentleman reminded me of a few things. The day to day can be tiresome, but I am in fact living out my dream. I'm also living a dream many share but few realize. Even to fly at all was something that I could only count as a blessing. I'm sure that my dinner companion had many, many hours, but none of them would take the place of the next flight hour he would never have.

I have no idea where that pretty brunette went, but in retrospect I'm glad I ate my meal with who I did and not her.

Perspective, it seems, is worth a good deal.

Great post/thoughts! Even if you have seen some of the world's real poverty first hand when you come back to America you tend to repress that knowledge, forget and get caught up in the rat race again. We are truly fortunate here. Even when I was a CFI, I had tons more than most in the world.

It's all true. A lot of times I can't believe how fortunate I am to live the life I do.

Just when I thought everything about you was superficial and motivated by............ well ........... you know.

What a nice post.

calcapt,

Well said and good stuff. A bit of travel around the world will quickly demonstrate the validity of your comments. There's no other place to live and we're indeed fortunate to have been downloaded here in the USA.

However, whether or not you "deserve" what you currently have is a moot point and too subjective to withstand much debate.

The important fact is that you have what you do because you have made good choices, apparently have taken advantage of opportunities presented to you...or better yet, made those opportunities and then earned what you have.

I see no place in that for anything less than a pat on the back.

Not much can be done about the rest of the world or it'd have been done by now. :bandit:

The important fact is that you have what you do because you have made good choices, apparently have taken advantage of opportunities presented to you...or better yet, made those opportunities and then earned what you have.

I see no place in that for anything less than a pat on the back.

How did you manage to choose where you were born?

Awesome post! I needed that today. I have been trying to find an aerospace engineering job for quite sometime now (I graduate in 34 days). It's been easy to get down and lose sight of what is important :banghead: I took a gliding flight the other day and had one of those heightened sense of awareness moments that you described. Great post...applicable to anyone not just the pilot community :D

This was a very good post and it really does put some things into perspective. When you really sit down and think about it, we are all quite fortunate. Some more so than others and many not as fortuante as they were 18 to 24 months ago. However, despite our current state (economic), we all still have some things to look forward to and things to be greatful for.

If there is anything that this current economic condition is doing, it is making us all re-evaluate what is important to us.

EX:

Up until last June, I was in a Sales/Design position with a very reputable custom cabinet manufacturer. The bulk of our work was on new construction homes that had a value of $1.5 Millions or above. The majority of my work averaged around $60,000 per home, however, it was not uncommon to have a cabinet order over $100,000 for a single home.

Life was good, or so I thought. I was successful, I had a very good base salary with a very lucrative commission structure and good benefits. I was able to afford the things I enjoy, buy gifts for the loved one and have a good time. However, many times I was working at home, I was at the office until 7 or 8 in the evening and many weekends were spent on a job site or meeting with customers. My QOL was not very good, despite being able to have the things that I wanted.

Well, the housing boom went bust and I found myself on the street with out a job the week before the 4th of July. Life was over, or so I thought. I was miserable and for the first time since I was 15, I was with out a job. That unemployment stage lasted until September.

I took a job that paid roughly 60% less than my previous job and had a horrendous schedule. Through time, the schedule has improved, the pay hasn't. That being said, I now have a job that I work at 4 days a week (3 days off in a row every week, the same days), I am off at 3pm, I have my weekends, I have vacation and I can take just about as much unpaid time off as I want.

Do I have the money to do the things I did previously........no. However, my QOL as well as my family relationship is 10X better. What has life taught me these past 12 months. While we may think that money is the answer to our problems and that it will allow us the material things we wish to have, there is no substitute for personal happiness and well being.

We all should heed the advise that we are being forced to take by these uncertain times. Really sit back and evaluate our lives and figure out what it is that means the most to us. For me it is my significant other, our two dogs, our friends and our ability to enjoy what we have currently. The desires will always be there, but be thankful for what we have, because there are others that wish they had a fraction of what we do. Most just want the opportunities that this great country affords us!

I wish everyone the very best in these trying times and I urge all of you to really sit back, do a little self evaluation and be greatful for what you have. All while trying to improve not only your own well being but that of those around you!

Very good post, Captain. The one thing I ALWAYS take back from my globe trotting adventures is that I have better than 99.9% of others in the world. We may bicker a lot here in the US, but there is none better IMHO.

That being said, I now have a job that I work at 4 days a week (3 days off in a row every week, the same days), I am off at 3pm, I have my weekends, I have vacation and I can take just about as much unpaid time off as I want.

What?!? You joined the Air Force?!? Rock on....

Just kidding, peeps, we work crazy long hours!!! :panic:

No, left them when they couldn't give me a guarantee!

Does sound like the AF though, especially field training with all of those Red Flag days!;)

In all seriousness, wish I would have stayed....................and a big.............THANK YOU..................to you and all of the other members (past, current and future) of our Armed Forces!

We all owe you our gratitude!

What?!? You joined the Air Force?!? Rock on....

Just kidding, peeps, we work crazy long hours!!! :panic:

No, left them when they couldn't give me a guarantee!

Does sound like the AF though, especially field training with all of those Red Flag days!;)

In all seriousness, wish I would have stayed....................and a big.............THANK YOU..................to you and all of the other members (past, current and future) of our Armed Forces!

We all owe you our gratitude!

Thanks for the thanks. I really can't complain, it has been a damn good gig. My schedule is pretty sweet most of the time, but there are times when back to back 24 hour flight duty periods get REAL old. And 3 AM alert times, and bravo alerts. But all in all...a damn sweet ride.

Back