Perspective pilot needs insight

leap24

Hello ladies and gents. My name is ken and I am new to the site. I have always been interested in flying and now have an opportunity to pursue that interest through pilot training as well as online schooling. To make sure this is really something for me I have been scouring this forum for several days and appreciate all the insight. Before I pull the trigger I would like to ask a couple of questions directly. First off I am doing this with the intent of being employed as a professional pilot. I would like to know how hard it was for you all to find employment after you completed your requirements? Also can having a couple of minor arrest with no convictions impede this. I believe they are all sealed. I have learned through this site the the process is long and costly with a lot of hard work involved. Any advice for me? Is the job market really that hard to crack? Any info is greatly appreciated, and if I go forward with this I am looking forward to sharing my experiences with you all. Thank you. Also I was quoted the cost of obtaining my ppl would be about 9000 going once a weak 3 hours a session half in the air and the other half on the ground for about 9 months. Does that seam about right? This flight instructor seems like a great guy and I have not inquired about any others yet.

Hi Leap24, I am sure the others will be along to answer your questions, but $9000 for a private ticket seems very high to me. But I am kind of out of touch with training costs these days. Good luck.

I'll let the guys who have a flying job now answer the question, but for the last half your looking at somewhere between $30,000 - 50,000 before your going to meet the requirements for an Airline. $9,000 seems a but step for just your private though. You can find a school for $5,000 - 6,000.

9K does sound a tad bit steep, but id rather them quote higher, right?

How much is it costing per hour?

Instruction rate is 55 - 65 an hour, and aircraft rental 89 - 139 an hour. Also Instrument rating would be another 9k then commercial for 4k. In total it would be about 22k and 20 months for all three If I went once a week.

Instruction rate is 55 - 65 an hour, and aircraft rental 89 - 139 an hour. Also Instrument rating would be another 9k then commercial for 4k. In total it would be about 22k and 20 months for all three If I went once a week.

Yeah I would definitely seek out other places to learn to fly. Those prices seem to be pretty high. Also, he quoted you 4K for the commercial. Keep in mind, after you have both your private and your instrument, you will be flying to build your total time up to 250 hours under part 61 for your commercial. So however many hours you will need to get to 250 times the cost of the aircraft rental is a better estimate on how much you will spend. I would imagine he is quoting 4K to learn the commercial maneuvers and ground stuff.

Well, I went to Embry Riddle and if you can find anything better than these prices its good in my book.

PPL $11,000
Instrument $8,000
Commercial $8,000
CFI/CFII $10,000
Multi $ 6,500
MEI $3,200

But if your just going to get your training at a local fbo $9,000 seems pretty steep. I know a place here in Daytona Beach that is offering a special $2,000 flat for private, I sure wish I had a deal like that. But on average i've heard around 5 grand for PPL.

Leap, you need to shop around, personally I think this guy is overpriced. Its a buyers market right now, so don't go with the first instructor you meet. Talk to some other schools in your area and see if their prices come close to his, if that's the going rate, then so be it, go with who you think is a good fit for you.

There is one guy up in that area that might be worth that price, Bob Miller Flight Training at KBQR but its still a little high.

Honestly if your going to learn to fly, Flying three times a week is about right to retain what you're learning. Two times a week minimum, less than that and you'll be rehashing last weeks lesson each time you fly and you'll be paying a lot more because of it.

Ken,

I am currently flying for an airline. I would say go for it, just keep in mind that the market for professional pilots has got quite a few furloughees in the mix that are also looking for jobs. That doesn't mean you can't get a job, but there will be much more competition for a job out there than there was before, especially if any more airlines fold. Also keep in mind that I am speaking specifically of the 121 world; I can't imagine part 135 is much better, but there is always instructing and freight; although I don't know what the current market for those looks like.

Good luck!

Hey man... if what you see in this industry and all that is happening to it and will continue to happen for years to come still doesn't stop your from pulling the trigger, then all the power to you.. Be prepared for the worst and definetly skip that instructor that is WAY overpriced. Find some young guy out of flight school. They will be more enthusiastic, more available, and more importantly cheaper. In my opinion, it's crazy to pay an instructor more than 20 bucks let along 60+ dollars. PP should not cost more than 6-7 if you're on track to complete it in minim time.

Well, I went to Embry Riddle and if you can find anything better than these prices its good in my book.

PPL $11,000
Instrument $8,000
Commercial $8,000
CFI/CFII $10,000
Multi $ 6,500
MEI $3,200

But if your just going to get your training at a local fbo $9,000 seems pretty steep. I know a place here in Daytona Beach that is offering a special $2,000 flat for private, I sure wish I had a deal like that. But on average i've heard around 5 grand for PPL.

2K for your private? umm, sounds really fishy! I say 7-10k sounds about right.

Hello,
I am a current and very active CFI based in Utah. I agree with many of the others in telling you to look around and look for an airplane with good maintenance and clean but then the cheaper the better. Find a nice little two seater or older four seater especially for your private it doesn't make a difference. Don't get suckered by the glass cockpit/gotta have a fancy GPS syndrome. Also look for a CFI who will sit down and take the time to explain the process to you, you have to be able to get along and you usually can tell how knowledgeable they are by talking to them and see if your personalities mesh. 55-60$/hour definately sounds to steep. I have checked several states across the U.S. and you should be able to get a more experienced CFI for in the 35-45$ range and if you don't mind a newbie often as cheap as 20$/hour. Finally, just my opinion but you will be wasting a lot of time and money reviewing things if you only meet once a week I would really push for at least twice and even better if its 3 or 4 times a week. Best of luck to you.
You can also do a lot of the ground studying on your own. Buy a good book (for example jeppeson private pilot book) and or dvd's king or sporty's and it should save you some money.

Ken, Most important to realize is the fact that it may be several years before you make any real money. Someone with a wet commercial ticket has very few options. Being a CFI is the usual first step. Dont worry about what the economy is NOW...it is irrelavent. It will be a couple of years before you have the time required to get a job, and no one knows what will be happening then! I cannot tell you what having an arrest on your record will do. I would suggest go and get an arrest record from your local P.D. and see what is says. if its clean no worries, if there is something on it. just be ready to explain it.
The most important thing is, if you want to fly, do it! You will have questions all along the way, you will not know everything up front. You are already on the right track by asking questions, just keep asking. Good Luck!

Back