Personal WX limits

[ QUOTE ]
[What's the topography in *your* area?

Do you have any computerized terrain avoidance gear in the A-10 or is it all charts, personal knowledge, and situational awareness?

[/ QUOTE ]

Topo depends on where we operate: South/central is mainly flat, but as you get to the north/northeast, mountainous. With no specialized gear, it's 1:50 and 1:100 maps, SA, and knowlege. Can really be a pain in the a$$. One night, was providing illum with parachute flares under a solid overcast with zero illum under. Couldn't hang around under the overcast because an AC-130 had to take that space. So to drop the flares, a descent had to be made through the overcast, pop out below, drop the illums, then climb back through, all while remaining within a 3-4 mile radius of the target. This necessitated a 30-40 degree dive through IMC, ending up underneath in rain. Each time I dropped through, it was painful, since the previous flares were still illuming the clouds, which washed out the HUD and was spatial D inducing, causing me to end up below at @35 degrees nose down and anywhere from 30-70 degrees of bank with about 10 seconds to recover to straight/level, find the target in the combo dark/illum/rain below, make the drop, avoid Spooky orbiting in the same area, and pop up back through. Not fun at all. But that's the way around here...VFR in IMC everywhere, as needed, no real IFR rules around here.

[ QUOTE ]
<shudder>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, no crap. I was feeling a little S.D. coming on just reading that!

Keep up the good work over there, MikeD!
smile.gif

That was 7 passes of doing the same thing that night. WX is pretty fluid here during this time of year, so you make do with whatever you need to get the job done. Takeoff non-radar into IMC and press to your area, descend into VMC on your own to effect the mission; no ATC, no AWACS. Things you wouldn't consider ever doing in the states, things the FAA would screw themselves into the ceiling over.

Suppose it keeps the skills sharp, I just got to remember there's rules to follow when I get back.

I presume that primary nav is GPS(?). Any kind of moving map display? Or do you have to use raw data and correspond to your 1:50's and 1:100's? Or does the GPS readout in data that relates directly to your charts (sectors or zones or something)?

(I'm presuming that what you guys are using in the Hawg wouldn't be classified anymore...)

Maybe we should talk to Garmin about some nice color handheld GPS's with Iraq topo maps loaded in 'em.
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I presume that primary nav is GPS(?). Any kind of moving map display? Or do you have to use raw data and correspond to your 1:50's and 1:100's? Or does the GPS readout in data that relates directly to your charts (sectors or zones or something)?

(I'm presuming that what you guys are using in the Hawg wouldn't be classified anymore...)

Maybe we should talk to Garmin about some nice color handheld GPS's with Iraq topo maps loaded in 'em.
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just standard charts with area nav coming from a INS/GPS system. No moving map. INS gets you to the area, from there, it's map vs ground to find the specific area of interest. Night, there's the added fun of finding stuff on the ground with NVGs and all the variables associated with that.

My admiration for the difficulty of the job that you guys do, and my appreciation for all of your dedication and sacrifice, has gone up one more notch.
Godspeed.

Depends for me. Single engine I'm looking for 500 above the lowest non-precision approach available. Multi engine I'm a bit more comfortable with lower, maybe 100-200 above DH.

-D

[ QUOTE ]
My admiration for the difficulty of the job that you guys do, and my appreciation for all of your dedication and sacrifice, has gone up one more notch.
Godspeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Just know that the "no choice" is a combat contingency.

For stateside/peacetime operations, our regs are as follows:

Alternate required if destination WX is forecast, at ETA, to be less than either 3000/3, or 2 miles above the lowest published viz, including TEMPO.

If an alternate is required, then to qualify, the alternate must, at ETA, be forecast to be either 1000/2, or 500/1 above the lowest landing min, including TEMPO.

[ QUOTE ]
By no choice, I mean that over here, when you're needed somewhere and you get the alert klaxon going off, you launch, pretty much regardless of departure WX and regardless of if you have a workable alternate. In the target area, you know the terrain, so if it's undercast, you simply descend through until you can get to some semblance of "below" in order to work the area visually, hopefully with a mile or more horizontal viz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Combat scudrunning...I love it!

These personal wx min's are a very important thing....ESPECIALLY when it comes time for a checkride

The local DPE that serves the field where i work at, ask's his examinee's what their personal wx mins are....well this one student told him and proceeded too walk to the plane for his practical...even though the actual wx was way beyond his "min's"....well needless too say he failed.

-Falcon

[ QUOTE ]
These personal wx min's are a very important thing....ESPECIALLY when it comes time for a checkride

The local DPE that serves the field where i work at, ask's his examinee's what their personal wx mins are....well this one student told him and proceeded too walk to the plane for his practical...even though the actual wx was way beyond his "min's"....well needless too say he failed.

-Falcon

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about lack of flexibility.......examinee should've said "published"....

.....and should've checked the SA hourly.

Back