People On Board - And Below Deck

Jpax

Hey Folks,

I have a somewhat grim and odd question for you JCers. When there is a body below in the cargo hold, in a casket, body bag, or whathaveyou, is that person reported on the passenger manifest (cargo?) and/or when filing IFR under "passengers on board?"

And if asked "How many souls on board?" by ATC-- how would that be responded to, does that include the body(ies) below?

Sorry for the grim/off beat topic! :)

--Jpax

Hey Folks,

I have a somewhat grim and odd question for you JCers.

And if asked "How many souls on board?" by ATC-- how would that be responded to, does that include the body(ies) below?

No, the Human Remains, (HR) is considered cargo, although a higher level of care and dignity is afforded them, especially military HRs.

As for souls, according to some definitions of death, the soul has already departed the body so I guess that answers your second question.

Hey Folks,

I have a somewhat grim and odd question for you JCers. When there is a body below in the cargo hold, in a casket, body bag, or whathaveyou, is that person reported on the passenger manifest (cargo?) and/or when filing IFR under "passengers on board?"

Sorry for the grim/off beat topic! :)

--Jpax

I never include bodies, the 207 will hold one casket, and I never marked "1 passenger" on the manifest.

Alrighty, thanks for the answers. I still feel like a creeper though for asking. :crazy:

Interstingly the 747 was once a tripple decker with passengers (live) in the cargo hold.

Durring the Isreali exacuation of jewish descendants living in ehiopia, they stuffed as many people they could possibly squeeze into a fleet of El Al airliners that were drafted for the emergency. It set the all time max number of passengers on a one plane somewhere around 800 IIRC.

Interstingly the 747 was once a tripple decker with passengers (live) in the cargo hold.

Durring the Isreali exacuation of jewish descendants living in ehiopia, they stuffed as many people they could possibly squeeze into a fleet of El Al airliners that were drafted for the emergency. It set the all time max number of passengers on a one plane somewhere around 800 IIRC.
There's a video of a World Airways 727 evacuating Da Nang Vietnam in 1975. When they landed the cargo holds were full of soldiers. I don't think anyone did a weight and balance though.

Did a little more research,

It was an El Al cargo 747. The total was 1,120 for take off, and 1,122 on landing for the all time most people on ANY single aircraft flight. The planned load was 1080, but a couple dozen kids snuck on hiding in their mothers clothing.

The Ethiopian government was about to fall, and had been resisting efforts for these people to emigrate into Isreal. The Isreali Military seized control of the airfield and a fleet of C130s was assigned to start evacuating the civilians. When the comander realized how many refugees there were, he asked for some larger aircraft. The government tapped El Al for all the planes they had in the area. About 14,500 refugees were transported to Isreal in 36 hours.

Pretty amazing.

Did a little more research,
The total was 1,120 for take off, and 1,122 on landing

Was this a miscount at "boarding" or did two screaming babies pop out? ...or some other method of adding people I haven't thought of....

Was this a miscount at "boarding" or did two screaming babies pop out? ...or some other method of adding people I haven't thought of....

According to the story I read, both. Two babies were born during the flight, and when they counted the passengers deplaning there were about 40 more than was planned.

Back