PDX pilot base?

twothousandgt

Doug,

Did DAL's Portland pilot domicle close for good? If so, what fleets are still there? Just curious, thanks
grin.gif

Yeah, it's gone.

I haven't updated that page in a while.

Can you post a listing of the domicles/fleets for DAL?

Also, on average where are the new hires being sent right now? I know there are always acceptions, but just generally, what's being awarded to the new guys (if any).

Thanks!

Delta's got 1300 furloughed pilots. No new hires since summer of 2001. No new hires + 1300 furloughs = no info!
smile.gif

LAX: 757/767, 767-400 (Hawaii)
DFW: MD-88/90, 737-300
SLC: 737-300, 737-800, 757/767
CVG: 737-200, MD-88, 757/767
MCO: 737-200
ATL: 737-200, 737-800, MD-88, MD-11, 757/767, 767ER(international), 767-400 (domestic), 777
NYC: MD-88, 767ER (international)

Thats dumb, doesn't that limit what you can fly? If you live in cincinnati which is a huge delta hub, You can't fly international routes out of CVG. Does this mean you have to change your base to suit your aircraft? Also, does this mean you have to fly both a 57 and a 67? Like both those planes are 1 catagory, does this apply to F/O as well? Wow, I guess you learn somthing new every day.

How many MD90S do you guys have and where do you fly them? I never see them in CVG.
Doug, on 1 trip could you fly an md90, have a layover and then fly an 88? that would make things confusing.

>>Thats dumb, doesn't that limit what you can fly?<<

Depending if you do not want to commute it could limit where you fly. It is all choices, do you want to live in XYZ or fly international.

>>If you live in cincinnati which is a huge delta hub, You can't fly international routes out of CVG.<<

Effectively yeah! If there are not international routes out of a base, that is how it is.

>>Does this mean you have to change your base to suit your aircraft?<<

I think it is more like change your aircraft to suite you domicile.

>>Also, does this mean you have to fly both a 57 and a 67? Like both those planes are 1 catagory, does this apply to F/O as well?<<

Yeap you HAVE (or even can) fly both types. The difference between them is minimal (from what I understand) some 767 have an extra panel to dump fuel, you step down into the cockpit of the 757 and then step up into the 767, rumour has it the 757 is the sports car while the 767 is the SUV.

Well delta does fly international routes out of CVG. But I understand what your saying, I want to absorb all the information I can correctally if you know what I mean.
wink.gif

Even though DAL has intl. routes out of CVG, theres no need to have a dedicated pilot domicle there.

For example, UAL does the same thing with it's 767 fleet. They only have intl. domicles in IAD and JFK (and MIA, but that's strictly S. American trips). UAL operates flights to Europe from SFO, LAX, ORD, and BOS, but these are all flown by IAD and JFK based crews. The crews usually deadhead in the day before from their domicle or fly in on really ugly 4-5 day trips like EWR-SFO/SFO-CDG/CDG-ORD/ORD-EWR. Nothing like dealing with EWR traffic on the tail end of a 4 day trip that took you through Paris
crazy.gif

I think Don will attest that UPS' schedules take the cake. 10-day trips into Asia with days that would make you wonder if you were flying for a US cargo carrier or Singapore Airlines. Not to mention the same thing in Europe and the Middle East...

[ QUOTE ]
Thats dumb, doesn't that limit what you can fly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, unless you move or commute.

[ QUOTE ]
If you live in cincinnati which is a huge delta hub, You can't fly international routes out of CVG. Does this mean you have to change your base to suit your aircraft?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, does this mean you have to fly both a 57 and a 67?

[/ QUOTE ]

Domestic 757/767 pilots fly the 757-200, 767-200, 767-300, 767-300ER but only domestically.

The 767ER international pilots only fly 767-300 ERs.

[ QUOTE ]
Like both those planes are 1 catagory, does this apply to F/O as well? Wow, I guess you learn somthing new every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

That applies fleet wide.

Primarily the reason that we split the flying between international and domestic is because the FARs, company policies and pilot contract requirements are different.

You really wouldn't want to deal with arriving back on reserve at 11pm one night, and then having crew scheduling call you at 7am saying that you have a 4pm departure for a 12-hour flight to Frankfurt.

United has a common domestic/international category, but I think most of their international flying is done with the 777's and 747's.

[ QUOTE ]
How many MD90S do you guys have and where do you fly them? I never see them in CVG.
Doug, on 1 trip could you fly an md90, have a layover and then fly an 88? that would make things confusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

16 MD-90s.

Mostly the west coast, and a little bit of Florida with the MD-90's.

The -88 and the -90 are very similar, fly differently but is very easy to adjust between fleets. The -90 is a little more "Airbus" whereas the -88 is a little more "JurassicJet DC-9"

I often fly both in the same day!

These days even San Jose (SJC) feels like a pilot base for Delta. we have quiet a few pilots that commute from SJC. Most of them are from SLC. I was even surprised that we have an MD-11 Capt. who commutes from ATL. What a way to commute- four hours flying trip after you get done with work- wow.

Lots of PHX pilots are based in ATL and some JFK for the international work.

I'll probably end up ATL based myself due to cutbacks in DFW because of lack of decent seniority in LAX and SLC.

Doug- I heard that the 767 International flying out of JFK goes really senior becuase of the wide variety of destinations served. I think Delta out of JFK has more transatlantic nonstops than any other U.S. airline from any one city.

Actually, the 767ER in JFK is junior compared to the 767ER in ATL.

More pilots live in ATL and would rather not commute to JFK just to fly to a few more destinations!
smile.gif

For a period of time, I could have held 767ER FO in JFK, but couldn't touch it in ATL.

[ QUOTE ]
For a period of time, I could have held 767ER FO in JFK, but couldn't touch it in ATL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats awesome! Did you just not take it becuase you didnt want to commute across the country?

Doug, does delta ever give incentives to have your base city change? Like (if this ever happens) if they were running low on pilots flying 767er out of JFK, then would give incentives for you to take that role?
And, do you get seniorty by hub? If you changed to a 737 in dfw, you would be pretty high on the seniorty list because you've already been there a while. But if you moved to JFK then you would have no seniorty?

[ QUOTE ]
Doug, does delta ever give incentives to have your base city change? Like (if this ever happens) if they were running low on pilots flying 767er out of JFK, then would give incentives for you to take that role?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope!

[ QUOTE ]
And, do you get seniorty by hub?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything is based off of date-of-hire. Period!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If you changed to a 737 in dfw, you would be pretty high on the seniorty list because you've already been there a while. But if you moved to JFK then you would have no seniorty?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, everything is ranked as per to your date of hire, no matter what aircraft you're flying. In fact, the DFW 737 is more senior than the higher paying DFW MD-88/90.

[ QUOTE ]
Lots of PHX pilots are based in ATL and some JFK for the international work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phoenix seems to be the place for airline pilots, I have 4 pilots in my neighborhood alone!

Back