PDT sending speedtape to Austria?

Phuz

In reference to the rumor posted about this in the LGA base thread, thought I would share a possibility with you guys here:

Tyrolean Airlines (Austrian Arrows) a member of the STAR alliance has a fleet of 12 300s that earlier this month they were planning to get rid of:
Austrian Arrows to axe CRJ fleet and cut 400 jobs[/URL] (Dated: July 7, 2009)

"Its CRJs will be removed from service at the beginning of summer 2010 and Austrian will also reduce its Bombardier Q300 fleet, switching partly to Q400s instead"
The CRJs are going in summer 2010, but the airline's fleet information on their website indicates that 3 of the DHC-8-300s have already been removed from service. Clearly, something they are already taking action on.

Also read:
Austrian Arrows Press Archive[/URL]
"We are planning to take the 50-seat Canadair Regional Jets, which are operated by Tyrolean Airways under the brand Austrian arrows, out of service at the beginning of the 2010 summer flight schedule. In addition, we intend to reduce our Dash 8-300 fleet and replace them partly with Dash 8-400. In total we will reduce our 50-seater fleet by up to 14 aircraft. "

IMO The only real disconnect would be Airways' lack of cash. Druknie Porker has been spewing the "OMG no more dollhairs" rhetoric for over a year now. Maybe our 2Q earnings will be a lot better than we all expect (thats reported july 23).

Doesn't one of our members fly for Tyrolean? Skyrunner I think? You are buddy? You going to be able to hold on to your seat?

Glad I'm not alone.

Must be a US Airways / PDT thing.

PDT guys thinking that those extra DH8's are going to head their way basically. Its a rumor started and I have no clue why one would think that. On another forum they are talking about the same thing. However I just would have to ask them, if leases are up on airplanes and Parker is wanting to get rid of them, why would he go out and buy some Dash 8 300's from another company?

the reason the rumor is so hot is bc there are now, or will be in short order, a number of 300's available. Our management and Airways management has come out several times in the recent past saying that they would love to get their hands on more 300's but there are none available.... and now there are some. will we get them? who knows but I doubt it. I have a feeling something is up here, whether it is LGA closing and massive consolidation of bases into the hubs, new airplanes, or a pdt fire sale...we should know more in a couple of weeks when the new bids and 'reductions' come out.

"if leases are up on airplanes and Parker is wanting to get rid of them, why would he go out and buy some Dash 8 300's from another company? "

Our 100's are pieces of JUNK. The 300's are fantastic airplanes for many reasons.

IMO picking up some 300s would be a sweet investment for Airways if they somehow found financing for them.

Bombardier doesn't build 1-300 series Dashes anymore. If airways was sensibly looking to maintain a turboprop fleet, they must forsee long term (within 10 years) the phasing out of the Dash 100s. The 300s on the other hand have a bit more life in them - i'd guess around 5-10 years beyond the 100s, mostly because they were built 5-10 years later.

Beyond the 20 year time frame I think you'd be looking at other manufacturers to stay in the 37-50 seat range, maybe Tupolev :rawk:

But picking up 300's now in a depressed market would be an excellent move - financing would clearly be Airways biggest hurdle.

Bombardier doesn't build 1-300 series Dashes anymore.
That's incorrect. Bombardier will build them if you want them. Of course they're called Q100, Q200, and Q300 now. Last Q300 delivered was a/c 671 delivered in June to Air Nelson in New Zealand.

Hopeful or not, we get back to reality. USairways wants to cut back flying even more. They want to reduce the current cost they have. Leases are up and the only reason those leases are going, are because they are up and thus they can save a few pennies there. We know its not much comparable but its the truth. So as to why Parker would now go and BUY planes, regardless of how cheap they are, would go agains what he has already made clear with the PDT reduction of aircraft. And Parker, like him or hate him, hardly makes such a statement about a reduction/furlough without being clear as to why he's doing the move he is doing, and thus following through with it.

I just dont see it happening. Fortunately, the 4 airplanes that were schedule to be lost only brough 20 furloughs for PDT (that were announced). Even with a loss of 11 and that current math, the number would bring it to around 60 (if that's how they end up doing it). Which will still be the fewest pilots on furlough of any company (including sister company PSA during a time of an initial furlough).

That's incorrect. Bombardier will build them if you want them. Of course they're called Q100, Q200, and Q300 now. Last Q300 delivered was a/c 671 delivered in June to Air Nelson in New Zealand.

I'm pretty sure that the recently announced that they will permanently end 2/300 production.

300 production ends, the 400ex or xr whatever will begin as a 56 seat rj 'killer' pretty much a 400 in a 300's body

Back