Pay Trigger Poll

At yellow IN depends on if the parking brake is set or not.

if the brake is set when any door (cargo or pax) is opened, then the time the parking brake was set is recorded as the IN time.
if the parking brake is released when any door is opened, then the time any door is opened is recorded as the IN time.

This could be a problem if the gate agent hasn’t shown up but the rampers opened the cargo door 20 minutes ago and the strollers and motorized wheelchairs are all waiting on the jetbridge for the pax for the pax door to open. In that case, I just make a phone call to DSC and the dispatch supervisor manually enters the time i tell him to block the flight in.

but for pay purposes it’s hard to trigger the “or better” part of the “block or better” due to the “per duty period” wording vs “per leg” and because for most trips it’s not hard block pay but soft pay covered by the trip and duty rigs that determine what the trip is worth for pay purposes.

for most of the multi day trips I fly I have to overblock by 2 to 3 hours before block or better causes me to get paid more. It’s easier to overblock 1-
and 2-day trips to get paid more than it is 3- and 4-day trips.

at my first regional we were always on time since we called our times until the FAA did an audit and we got the email from the company “The FAA has audited our OOOI times and informed us that it is statistically impossible for all our flights to have out off on and in times that are all multiples of 5s. So please call your actual times to the actual minute instead of rounding them to the nearest 5 minutes.” So instead of calling times 5 and 10. After the email they became 5 and 6.

Last edited:
Very similar at Ned, I believe the specific number is 0.5 knots wheel speed or more.

The Mormons once changed it to the right hand oil pressure on the Brasilia > 35 psig and that lasted about as long as you would think since the D-zero was terrible.
I believe you’re right. Then it’s brakes set and any door open.

Curious what starts (and stops) the pay clock at various airlines. Door close? Brake release? Wheel movement? Ground speed?

PalmTreeAir is ground speed of more than a knot or two, until the first door (cabin or cargo) is opened after the brake is set.
Starter button pushed to N2 <3%.

Tips start at the below-10K PA ("The quality of the landing depends on the quality of the tips.") and ends with the Benjamins being transferred.

Back