Pax/Pilot Difference (Career question)

BCTAv8r

In respect to professional flying, if you don't enjoy flying as a passenger does it necessarily mean that you'd probably not enjoy flying as pilot either? I enjoy flying but my experience thus far is limited to single engine Cessnas. For example, If I get bored out of my mind flying a 8 hour flight as a pax does it mean that I'd be bored doing it as a pilot?

Does the questions make sense?

I think it makes perfect sense. Last week, I spent six hours in the last row (not able to recline my seat) of a commercial flight with the seat in front of me almost pressed into my chest. I like flying but I despise commercial air travel. I don't fly professionally but I would equate it to the difference between driving your car for six hours or taking a bus. The bus is OK (if I HAVE to rely on it) but its nice to be the one doing the driving. YMMV.

In respect to professional flying, if you don't enjoy flying as a passenger does it necessarily mean that you'd probably not enjoy flying as pilot either? I enjoy flying but my experience thus far is limited to single engine Cessnas. For example, If I get bored out of my mind flying a 8 hour flight as a pax does it mean that I'd be bored doing it as a pilot?

Does the questions make sense?

I don't know of any pilot, of the few professionals I've spoken with, who aren't also severely bored on long hauls as well. It is what it is. Sitting on autopilot is just as boring at 30,000ft as it is hand flying the cessna at 6,500ft. Personally though, I'd rather be bored at 30,000ft going .82 mach on my way to Hawaii expecting a 3 day layover.

There is a saying that I heard but do not know where it came from... "Flying consists of hours of boredom and seconds of sheer terror"

The boring flights are the best ones.

One thing to consider, depending on your career you may be in the back more then the front. Ask the train which side of the cockpit door he spent more time during his time at ExpressJet. Also a lot of cargo guys spend alot of time in the back.

I commute home on the airlines about once/wk, and let me tell you it sucks. I hate sitting in the back, even when I have free satellite TV and books to read. There's no comparison to being up front, as up there I actually have work to do and somebody to talk to. Yes, it can get boring up front when we're cruising along at FL450 on autopilot, but it's still not as bad as being in the back of an airliner.

I like riding in the back of our planes.

:D

attachment.php

Sure, it gets boring sitting in the back. Last month, over the first few days of the month I flew seven legs and sat in the back for seven legs. It sucked. One thing to keep in mind though, is that despite the fact that it is SOMEWHAT better up front (the view is better, you have somebody to talk to, you have *some* work to do and the seats are generally more comfortable than a coach seat) it still is pretty dull up there most of the time. But, as somebody said before, I'd much rather it be dull than exciting.

I don't know of any pilot, of the few professionals I've spoken with, who aren't also severely bored on long hauls as well. It is what it is. Sitting on autopilot is just as boring at 30,000ft as it is hand flying the cessna at 6,500ft. Personally though, I'd rather be bored at 30,000ft going .82 mach on my way to Hawaii expecting a 3 day layover.

There is a saying that I heard but do not know where it came from... "Flying consists of hours of boredom and seconds of sheer terror"

Which airline is it that has the 3 day layovers in Hawaii? I need to get hired there. I am tired of my airline already. They make us stay in 6 star hotels eat steak and drink champaign. The worst part is having to deflower all of those 18 year old super model flight attendants we have. What a chore that is.

My back is really tweaked because my wallet is so fat from all the money I make, when I sit down my right cheek is higher than the left. They really need to quit paying us so much.

I wish I could be there to see the look of disappointment on your face when you finally realize this profession isn't what you or the general public perceives it to be.

As for you Brian. Flying is far more comfortable up front. The seats are wayyy more roomy and the best part is that there is a solid door separating you from the self loading cargo. If you are lucky you will have a CA who you can have some good conversations with on that long 4 day.

Coach is boring to me. 8 hrs in Business Elite on the the way to Istanbul sipping champagne is NOT boring to me:D

And no just because you're bored in the back doesn't mean you'll be bored in the front. I'll take the jumpseat any day over a coach seat, but not a first class or business class seat.

Being bored comes with the job. Sitting for hours at an fbo gets old fast and although our legs are pretty short it can still get dull sitting there with not much to do and nobody to talk to. It's not the most intellectually stimulating job but it's satisfying as hell when everything goes well.

Still, I'll take a boring flight over an exciting one any day.

And it sure beats riding in back.

Being bored comes with the job. Sitting for hours at an fbo gets old fast and although our legs are pretty short it can still get dull sitting there with not much to do and nobody to talk to. It's not the most intellectually stimulating job but it's satisfying as hell when everything goes well.

I absolutely hate sitting at FBOs all day... Fortunately our people are pretty good about their scheduling, but when we are stuck somewhere for a few hrs, I get the crew car or just walk somewhere.

Back