Passed my initial CFI checkride today!

skysnake

SLC FSDO...fair but VERY thorough ride. The oral was about 6 hours and the flight was only about 1.5 total.

I'm a 12,000 hour MD-80 Captain for AA and it was no doubt the most difficult oral I have ever had. After the past 11 months of studying for this daddy of all checkrides, I have the utmost respect for you CFI's! I'm honored to join your ranks.

Wet around the ears,

Chris

Nice!!! im pretty sure you have more experience than the Examiner.:) Im suprised he didnt respect your experience and drove you crazy for 6 hours.

Nice!!! im pretty sure you have more experience than the Examiner.:) Im suprised he didnt respect your experience and drove you crazy for 6 hours.

Not to diss Skysnake (congrats BTW), but just because somebody has 10k hours flying in the military and airlines dosen't mean they know squat about teaching someone how to fly a Cessna. I have run across a few pilots with gobs of flight time who didn't know beans about flying anything burning Avgas. One guy learned to fly in a T-37, spent 20 years flying KC-135s, then flew for United for 10 more. He finally bought a Bonanza and was back at square one (to his credit he quickly realized this and learned very quickly the stuff I taught him) These were by far the exception, but they are out there.

Any good examiner knows this and will hold EVERY applicant to the same standard. Oh BTW, most examiners have over 10K total time themselves. The FAA requires a minimum of 2,000 hours of dual given before you can even apply.

Congrats again Skysnake, and remeber this one peice of advice about student pilots. "They are all trying to kill you."

Congrats!! It's just good to hear there's still more and more CFI's out there... it puts some optimism out there! :rawk:

Chris, You are no longer wet around the ears! WELCOME!!!!! With all the hours you already have under your belt, I'd love to know any big points you learned that were blinding flashes during your studies....

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D

SLC FSDO...fair but VERY thorough ride. The oral was about 6 hours and the flight was only about 1.5 total.

I'm a 12,000 hour MD-80 Captain for AA and it was no doubt the most difficult oral I have ever had. After the past 11 months of studying for this daddy of all checkrides, I have the utmost respect for you CFI's! I'm honored to join your ranks.

Wet around the ears,

Chris

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I just finished 5 days of AA flying so I haven't been around to thank you guys/gals. I am already studying for the CFII. This one should be much easier as I use most of it every day out there flying the line.

Keep the blue side up and may you all have tailwinds, except on T/O and Landing!

Chris

your kidding...right?
-------

skysnake congrats!

Welcome to the ranks now go out there and get the stuff scared out of you!
Watch them closely.

You may have military instructing under your belt, if you don't, you will find that this job is very rewarding.

Thanks everyone for the kind words! It feels good to have it all over with. I've only given 4 hours of dual since I got it but even that has been fun!

Now I'm studying like crazy for the CFII. I'm trying to figure out if I need a "Super CFII" to do my instruction or if a new CFII can do it...anyone know?

Chris

Whatever your initial CFI rating is gong to be, requires a 2 year/200dual given CFI to sign off.

Every other subsequent CFI rating only requires a CFI in that catagory and class.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I found a cool guy at the local field that is a new CFII but he is really current on stuff since he just took his ride.

I just took my written this afternoon and plan on flying with him tomorrow morning. I hope to have this thing done by Christmas.

Back