Part time jobs

DaPaul

Anybody successfully pull off a second job while in the regionals, or does the schedule not permit it?

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody successfully pull off a second job while in the regionals, or does the schedule not permit it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's possible, depending on the airline and what bid you hold. I'm a reserve firefighter, while moonlighting as a military pilot.

Hey Mike, just out of curiousity...how does one get into firefighting? An instructor I flew with during my private did it, and seemed to enjoy it.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Mike, just out of curiousity...how does one get into firefighting? An instructor I flew with during my private did it, and seemed to enjoy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started through the Forest Service in 1988 as a wildland firefighter. In time, I worked up in certifications to get structural and eventually airport ARFF firefighter. There's many volunteer fire departments out there, primarily in more rural areas, that one can join if they like. Training takes a long time due to the part-time nature, but can be done like I did. Forest firefighting is good $$$ too working on the line, not to mention the satisfying nature of the work, but it's tough work. That's why many seasonal wildland guys can make a decent living only working 6-7 months out of the year. Easily rake in about $45,000 for a season depending on the work; and if you're a federal forest service FF, you travel nationwide to fight fires (as do state FFs, but they cover their state first). Guys working AZ in the past two years make some bank. Vol departments travel too as part of mutual aid pacts and you can make cash doing that too pending you have the availability. I'm a wildland guy at heart, engine (truck) man. But there's also the hand crews, hotshot crews (your basic infantry), smoke jumpers (your airborne), truck crew (your ground support), and aircraft.

Back