Part-Time CFI Enough To Cure Aviation Bug?

Counselor

For those already established in a career with family obligations, has anyone been successful in curing the aviation bug with part-time CFI work, or is the draw into the airlines inevitable? I'd love to hear about folks who keep their regular job (police, teacher, business owner) while satisfying the aviation bug by CFI'ing part time on the side. Can being a part-time CFI be enough?

For me it works- I work full time 3-12hr days as an RN. I work my flying schedule around my day job and family, doing mainly freelance instruction and some Cirrus transitions. I fly about 20-30hrs/month.

Being a part time CFI is enough for me, but that's to satisfy a teaching bug as much as an aviation bug. Biggest problem is the demands that a "normal" career and life make that don't let you teach (or fly) as much as you would like to.

Whether it's enough to fight the draw to the airlines, you'd have to ask those who have been drawn to the airlines as a potential career choice to begin with.

For those already established in a career with family obligations, has anyone been successful in curing the aviation bug with part-time CFI work, or is the draw into the airlines inevitable? I'd love to hear about folks who keep their regular job (police, teacher, business owner) while satisfying the aviation bug by CFI'ing part time on the side. Can being a part-time CFI be enough?

It's hard to know how much you want to be in the airlines without having been there. In my case, I've had a blast in the airlines, but I've decided it's not for me. I don't know if CFIing would still be enough for me, because I would still like to fly for a living. For me, I think it started out as just wanting to fly planes, but has become more of a lifestyle choice. I still really like flying, but the seeing of new places and meeting different people has really caught on with me. I don't think I could go to the same, motionless desk, every day. I've done it before and not enjoyed it nearly as much.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a part-time CFI gig, when combined with your non-aviation regular career, can at least address the aviation bug, while keeping you home with family (at least until kids get older, huh?).

I know a lot of people who do it. They love it. Some of them are retired and just do it for a little extra income. Some of them work full time and do on the side not for the money but so they get their aviation fix.

Why not try it and see what happens?

Not to call him out, but FlyingTurkey is a former airline pilot who now instructs on the side with a "regular" job. Try PMing him... haven't seen him on here in a while.

Being a part time CFI works great for me. I love it. I don't simply do it to satisfy my need to fly, but also to teach others as well. I really enjoy having a student progress along and become a pilot. Getting a little money on the side of my regular job is nice, but not the ultimate reason.

As far as the airlines go, the draw will always be there. I nearly dropped my hat into the ring last year. But by taking a closer look at my situation, I realized it would be best to hold off on that for now. At this point I have zero regrets on that decision.

One of our CFIs works full time as an engineer on a ferry boat. Another is a 3/4 time ANG guy. One of our scenic pilots is a college professor.

lots of people have part time jobs to not have to pay to fly. i'll probably be one of them.

Back