Part 61 PPL, IR then 141 Comm.??

When I worked at a flight school as a customer service rep in high school, the FAA would come by every now and then. But the impression I got is that they were doing little more than checking the "i" dotted and the "t" crossed in the paperwork we were required to maintain, with little oversight of the 'quality of instruction' the students were receiving.

I'm not saying that isn't true, but the perception by many new customers/students is that "hey, the FAA comes in and checks these guys out, that's where I want to do my training".

Your point about needing to find a good instructor is absolutely correct, but I've seen as many good and bad instructors in part 141 programs as I have in part 61 settings.

Examining authority is a big issue to many students I talked to towards the end of my full-time instructing. They don't seem to get the point that just because you have examining authority doesn't mean someone from the FSDO can't pop in any time they want and do an end-of-course or stage check.

It really comes down to personal preference.

-mini

Back