Part 61 or Part 141

FlyBoyJae

I am a student pilot...just started flying (17hours)...my school is under part 61(aviation west in long beach, CA)...would it be better for me to train under part 141 if I am trying to eventually work for the airlines or the cargo?

No, 61 vs 141 does not matter one bit, but your instructor matters very much. You're probably getting pretty close to solo. If you switch now you'll set yourself back pretty good, for no benefit whatsoever.

If you're having problems with your instructor, etc. then things are different, but if it's just 61vs141 then stay where you are.

As far as 61 vs 141, I did the majority of my training at a 61 school and I loved it. What I think would really determine whether you went 61 or 141 is your personal schedule. If your not on any time table to get your tickets then 61 is great, but if you need a structured and more time sensitive learning enviornment then 141 is the way to go.

61 or 141 really doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I guess the greatest benefit that I see in 141 is that you can get your commercial with 190hrs as opposed to 250hrs. Truth is there are some very good 61 schools and some very bad 141 schools, so 141 is not neccessarily better. It all comes down to the student and to a lesser extent the instructor.

[ QUOTE ]
Truth is there are some very good 61 schools and some very bad 141 schools

[/ QUOTE ]
I have done them both. I did my PVT and INS part 61 at a local FBO in Alabama, then I went to Delta Connection Academy (BIG MISTAKE!!!) The big 141 schools really poke you in the eyes when it comes to the almighty dollar. I got my single-engine commercial at DCA, then left and went to ATP Inc. and found my solace. I would definetly say Part 61 or ATP is the way to go. Think about it this way DCA profits when you don't do well. They charge by the hour so when you fail a checkride or a lesson or a stage check, they make more $$$. They love it! ATP charges one rate and we lose money when you fail. Take the high road.
ZP

[ QUOTE ]
DCA profits when you don't do well. They charge by the hour so when you fail a checkride or a lesson or a stage check, they make more $$$. They love it!

[/ QUOTE ] And that would be an example of a bad 141 school. However, I wouldn't generalize that all 141 schools have incentive for you to fail. Currently I'm getting my ratings 141 and I couldn't be more happy.
[ QUOTE ]
ATP charges one rate and we lose money when you fail.

[/ QUOTE ] Don't make it sound like there's incentive to pass a student even if he/she is not capable. That could be worse than the 141"intentional failing of a student on their stagecheck" scenario.

well i guess i am happy with part 61. i am still going to my part 61 school and am having fun. i am friends with most of the instructors there and everyone is really cool. however, i am kinda worried about finding "the job" later when i become fully licensed (i know this is LONG way down the road). i did think about eventually going to some academy, pan am academy, i dont know why pan am but they sound good for some reason...but after reading many posts here, i think i will just stick to part 61 mainly due to the high costs of those academies.

[ QUOTE ]
Think about it this way DCA profits when you don't do well. They charge by the hour so when you fail a checkride or a lesson or a stage check, they make more $$$. They love it!

[/ QUOTE ]

By that logic, Part 61 schools who charge hourly want you to fail, too. That's also making a pretty wicked statement about the mentality at those big academies . . .

I attend a smaller 141 school that charges a flat rate and also offers Part 61 for those that perfer it. I couldn't be happier, but it has much more to do with the quality of the instruction, the flexibility of the program, and the teaching style rather than the 141 vs 61 issue. Find a place that fits you and feels right. In the end, that's what's most important, I think.

I'm happy with the school I'm at, and it's Part 61, at least for now. There's a rumour going around of adding 141 by the summer. The letter of intent has already been filed the FAA, the a/c fleet is being bulked up (just got a new Diamond Eclipse, one more on the way, new SR-22, a possible Diamond DA-40 or a TwinStar on the way, and a Citabria is in the works, too), and we have a killer new full motion sim. It's one of those places I wouldn't mind flight instructing for when I get to that point.

The main difference between 141 and 61 is that under part 141 there is a ton of paperwork and if it isnt perfect the FAA can get pretty pissy about it. One of the instructors at our school made one mistake in the 141 folder and forgot to check one box on a lesson, the FAA was ready to pull the guys instrument ticket over that and make him do the lesson and the checkride all over again. Under Part 61 the feds pretty much just leave you alone.. The more the feds leave you alone the better. In addition under Part 141 all the work you do has to be dual or solo which gets quite expensive. Part 61 you can take friends/family up on a lot of cross countries and split the cost... 61 all the way baby!!!

Even with the extra paperwork, 141 is nice on the instructor or flight school side because if anything happens to a student, you have the paperwork to show when something specific was covered with the student. As for the student, I don't think there is much difference because anything you save on less flight time being needed can easily be offset by all of the extra dual you will need in a 141 syllabus.

Back