Part 141 vs 61 / Any Maine Pilots/Students Out There?

atp_chris

After lots of thinking and listening the opinions of folks here, I have decided against taking out a 70,000 ATP loan and do my flight training over the next 2-3 years at a local FBO while working full time (trying to pay as I go ). I'm in Augusta, Maine the local airport here has a school that is part 141. Is there any advantage of a part 141 or part 61? Am I going to pay more at a part 141? Does anyone know if there are any flight schools in the Bangor area?

I have flown about 1.6 hours with an instructor from Maine Instrument Flight. Due to my special situation I can't really attest to the flight school in a positive or negative light but I can say that when you find a good instructor and good school you know it. (I will likely get my Private through them this month if the FAA ever calls me back to schedule my SODA)

Long story short, 61 or 141 is up to the individual but don't ever settle for a school or instructor you don't like. I have "fired" 6 of them and had 3 I loved but had to leave of circumstances. This is my 10th instructor. If you are going to train in Maine you had better have a great relationship because at what they charge for a C-172 in New England ...

There is no advatage to 141 other than lower time requirements. However, 141 is usually more expensive, so it may be a wash. 141 is very strict and restrictive in the way you train. I find that undesirable from a CFI standpoint. But some students like the structure. Is 61 cheaper? It can be, but a lot depends on your location and what the rates are. It's hard to compare apples to oranges.

I have flown about 1.6 hours with an instructor from Maine Instrument Flight. Due to my special situation I can't really attest to the flight school in a positive or negative light but I can say that when you find a good instructor and good school you know it. (I will likely get my Private through them this month if the FAA ever calls me back to schedule my SODA)

Yeah Maine Instrument Flight is the school I was looking at. Any recommendations on instructors there? I am just starting out with flying and having never taken a checkride or anything, not sure how I would tell a good instructor from bad (aside from personality conflicts). I guess I just think it would be hard to know if they are a good instructor or not without any base for comparison.

From what I hear a lot of instructors concern is the ability of a student to properly finance their PPL and there is a high drop out rate. After all, finances cancel a lot of marriages lack of money is really stressful.

A lot of people may flame me for this and if you can't do it and just plain love to fly then ignore it but ... have 10 grand in the bank dedicated and devoted exclusively to your PPL before you start. After you get your first ticket you will be in a good place to know what you want ... besides a lot of the fast track schools require the PPL to start anyway.

Back