Part 135 Checkride to Obtain Initial ATP?

WS

Ok, so I took my ATP written prior to the deadline and am looking to take my ATP practical test soon so that I can avoid all the new training requirements.

While 61.53 (h) says I need to take a practical test on the areas of operation listed in 61.157(e), part (f) has an interesting exception that I don't fully understand:

(f) Proficiency and competency checks conducted under part 121, part 135, or subpart K of part 91.
(1) Successful completion of any of the following checks satisfies the flight proficiency requirements of this section for the issuance of an airline transport pilot certificate and/or the appropriate aircraft rating:
(i) A proficiency check under§ 121.441 of this chapter.
(ii) Both a competency check under§ 135.293(a)(2) and § 135.293(b) of this chapter and pilot-in-command instrument proficiency check under § 135.297 of this chapter.
(iii) Both a competency check under§ 91.1065 of this chapter and a pilot-in-command instrument proficiency check under § 91.1069 of this chapter.
(2) The checks specified in paragraph (f)(1) of this section must be conducted by one of the following:
(i) An FAA Aviation Safety Inspector.
(ii) An Aircrew Program Designee who is authorized to perform proficiency and/or competency checks for the air carrier whose approved training program has been satisfactorily completed by the pilot applicant.
(iii) A Training Center Evaluator with appropriate certification authority who is also authorized to perform the portions of the competency and/or proficiency checks required by paragraph (f)(1) of this section for the air carrier whose approved training program has been satisfactorily completed by the pilot applicant.

I am currently employed as a part 135 cargo pilot flying a C208, so can I use my 293 & 297 ride as the practical test for a single engine ATP? I was planning on doing this at a local school in a seminole for the multi ATP, but if I can do the single first this way, it would take away the urgency of it.

Thanks!

Ok, so I took my ATP written prior to the deadline and am looking to take my ATP practical test soon so that I can avoid all the new training requirements.

While 61.53 (h) says I need to take a practical test on the areas of operation listed in 61.157(e), part (f) has an interesting exception that I don't fully understand:

(f) Proficiency and competency checks conducted under part 121, part 135, or subpart K of part 91.
(1) Successful completion of any of the following checks satisfies the flight proficiency requirements of this section for the issuance of an airline transport pilot certificate and/or the appropriate aircraft rating:
(i) A proficiency check under§ 121.441 of this chapter.
(ii) Both a competency check under§ 135.293(a)(2) and § 135.293(b) of this chapter and pilot-in-command instrument proficiency check under § 135.297 of this chapter.
(iii) Both a competency check under§ 91.1065 of this chapter and a pilot-in-command instrument proficiency check under § 91.1069 of this chapter.
(2) The checks specified in paragraph (f)(1) of this section must be conducted by one of the following:
(i) An FAA Aviation Safety Inspector.
(ii) An Aircrew Program Designee who is authorized to perform proficiency and/or competency checks for the air carrier whose approved training program has been satisfactorily completed by the pilot applicant.
(iii) A Training Center Evaluator with appropriate certification authority who is also authorized to perform the portions of the competency and/or proficiency checks required by paragraph (f)(1) of this section for the air carrier whose approved training program has been satisfactorily completed by the pilot applicant.

I am currently employed as a part 135 cargo pilot flying a C208, so can I use my 293 & 297 ride as the practical test for a single engine ATP? I was planning on doing this at a local school in a seminole for the multi ATP, but if I can do the single first this way, it would take away the urgency of it.

Thanks!

In the FAA's most infinite wisdom, a SE ATP can't add on a ME class rating like you can with other certs (PPL, CPL), meaning you still have to go through that stupid CTP written process to obtain ME, if your written expires.

Yea, I thought that sounded too easy. I don't really see much use for a SE ATP anyway. Guess I'll proceed with my original plan and just take the practical test in a Seminole or something.

In the FAA's most infinite wisdom, a SE ATP can't add on a ME class rating like you can with other certs (PPL, CPL), meaning you still have to go through that stupid CTP written process to obtain ME, if your written expires.
Yes but if you have a single engine atp you never needed to do the written again for the multi.
Couldn't you get the single before the written expires and then do the multi the old fashioned way when you have 25 multi?

Yes but if you have a single engine atp you never needed to do the written again for the multi.
Couldn't you get the single before the written expires and then do the multi the old fashioned way when you have 25 multi?

Based on everything I've seen, no. Unlike the CPL and PPL "addition of a new class to an existing category" where you just need the extra PTS tasks, going from a SE to ME ATP requires the whole shebang.

Based on everything I've seen, no. Unlike the CPL and PPL "addition of a new class to an existing category" where you just need the extra PTS tasks, going from a SE to ME ATP requires the whole shebang.
When I did my Multi ATP the DPE told me to do my single engine ATP before my written expires because if you don't you would have to take written again.

Back