part 135 cargo???

I went 135 cargo. I don't believe going to 135 cargo is a better move than going to a regional anymore, under most circumstances.

I went 135 cargo. I don't believe going to 135 cargo is a better move than going to a regional anymore, under most circumstances.

I don't think either is good but it seems like we are left with very few choices!

I don't think either is good but it seems like we are left with very few choices!

I'm feeling that there comes a point in this silly career where one starts to realize that QOL is vastly more important than what equipment you're flying. Flying a 747 is worthless if you're burned out from years of dues-paying. Theres a difference between determination and stubbornness. I, for one, am really starting to weigh all the options out there for me in terms of a "career job". There must be a perfect flying job for all of us, just need to be more open and inquisitive about our options. (My current goal is to find a regional I would love working for - ideally SKYW - and plan to retire there)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did 135 freight and went to a 121 regional... QOL is certainly better... but at the expense of a pretty hefty pay decrease. I would not ever advise staying at a regional though - no matter how good it is..... you're still throwing the dice based on contracts which regularly expire. I believe we just closed 16 stations in the blink of an eye.

Same here.

Food for thought: AMF pilots have been jumping ship for Skywest in significant numbers. Even pilots with respectable amounts of TPIC. I'm not convinced it's a fluke. At some point, QOL makes a difference in spite of all that amazing TPIC you can get at AMF.

Some guys are hard-wired for the 135 life and firmly believe it will land them at fantastic air ambo and corporate gigs. I am not in a position to argue that belief, but I would suggest that amount of time spent at a company like AMF vs. one of the better regionals will mostly result in lower overall pay and (depending on perspective) a lower overall QOL.

I see what you're saying. I think the very best things you can do to further your aviation career are to bust your ass, keep a positive attitude, network, and not burn bridges. There are many different paths to lead to wherever it is that all of us want to go.

I was going to reply to this, but I think I feel the need for a Safety Nap...
I don't have a nurse today, so all day is safety nap time! Well, half is... the other half is Borderlands 2.

But now I have to wait 20 minutes before my next safety nap so I can close out the DFL so I won't forget in the morning. It's a hard life.

yea, its not so much the equipment but quality of life.... id be content, 40k-50k with weekends and a 401k.. im 26 and not married but would eventually like to get married but it seems like aviation is the wrong career choice unless you go major airlines and work 20 days a month...

Pilot86, aviation is the right career choice, even for those that want to get married. I know guys who don't work for major airlines and are happily married. If your marriage revolves around one's career it is doomed to fail. With that said, I think you are selling yourself WAAAAAAAAAAAY short. To top out at 50K in aviation is not that much money for what one can potentially make. You can make a lot more, even on the corporate side. I am sure SteveC and ZapBrannigan can give you more specifics, but I would be amorris311 's next paycheck they make more than 50K, have good benefits (health care/401K), and get a lot of weekends off.

I would set higher goals, even if you don't want to go the major airline route.

I don't have a nurse today, so all day is safety nap time! Well, half is... the other half is Borderlands 2.

But now I have to wait 20 minutes before my next safety nap so I can close out the DFL so I won't forget in the morning. It's a hard life.

I have you beat. Our airplane is going down for heavy MX in the next 5 hours or so. I'm hoping that the day guy catches a trip or two and my "work" will consist of showing up, trading a few barbs with the fling-wingers, and sleeping the sleep of the Righteous till NJC.

DFL? 15 minutes of pain and paperwork for 8 hours of blissful sleep? Sold.

I have you beat. Our airplane is going down for heavy MX in the next 5 hours or so. I'm hoping that the day guy catches a trip or two and my "work" will consist of showing up, trading a few barbs with the fling-wingers, and sleeping the sleep of the Righteous till NJC.

DFL? 15 minutes of pain and paperwork for 8 hours of blissful sleep? Sold.

Sounds dreamy.

Sounds dreamy.

It really is. If we were paid quite a bit more and flew just a tiny bit more (ok, and had another spinny-thing), this job would be Nirvana. Although if those conditions were met I think I'd feel like a Welfare Queen or something. Gotta have something left to complain about or you lose your self-respect.

yea, its not so much the equipment but quality of life.... id be content, 40k-50k with weekends and a 401k.. im 26 and not married but would eventually like to get married but it seems like aviation is the wrong career choice unless you go major airlines and work 20 days a month...

Set your sites a bit higher. 20 days a month is a LOT of flying, especially once you have kids. And $40-$50K is not adequate compensation for the knowledge, expertise, and time dedicated to this profession... Not to mention check rides, medicals, and the fact that seniority isn't portable.

Set your sites a bit higher. 20 days a month is a LOT of flying, especially once you have kids. And $40-$50K is not adequate compensation for the knowledge, expertise, and time dedicated to this profession... Not to mention check rides, medicals, and the fact that seniority isn't portable.
Yeah...50 large sounds like a lot when you're a single flight instructor living in a house with two other single flight instructors, making 20k a year. It sounds like a lot less when you're married, wanting to start a family, get a place of your own, etc.

I cosign this!

Back