Panicked Passengers

Adriano

This is from CNN.com:

Startled passengers flee using plane's escape chutes

Delta Flight 1036 experienced what is called a "hot start" after pulling back from the gate at Tampa International Airport and starting its engines, said spokeswoman Catherine Stengel.

"That's when flames come out of the engine. It is normal," she said.

"But a few of the passengers got nervous about it and elected to pull the chutes and go out through the chutes," she added. "If they know how to do it, they can. And they did."

Some passengers who used the chutes suffered minor injuries and were taken to a local hospital, Stengel said.

Stengel said the chutes automatically deploy when the cabin door is opened in a potential emergency.

The flight's remaining passengers deplaned normally, she said.

Usually in a Boeing 757, Flight 1036 is a regularly scheduled flight between Tampa and Atlanta, Georgia. Its scheduled departure time was 7:05 a.m. EDT.

Stengel said Monday morning's passengers were put on another flight.

[ QUOTE ]

Delta Flight 1036 experienced what is called a "hot start" after pulling back from the gate at Tampa International Airport and starting its engines, said spokeswoman Catherine Stengel.

"That's when flames come out of the engine. It is normal," she said.

[/ QUOTE ]

My question is, was it a hot start or not? Hot starts are not normal. My guess is that it was a hot start, flames did shoot out of the engine, and the passengers decided to get out. But the airlines "spin" is just crap. Also, did they evac on the same side of the hot starting engine?

[ QUOTE ]
Also, did they evac on the same side of the hot starting engine?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was wondering the same thing at first. But I'm sure they didn't. I don't think they'd take the liberty upon themselves to evacuate and then go one step further and evacuate towards the flames. Passengers don't always know the ins and outs of flying, but you don't need to be a pilot to know that a flaming engine isn't where you want to be. At least I hope not!
smile.gif

A friend of mine had a guy who opened an over wing exit during a taxi for no reason. I guess some passengers can not keep their hands to themselves.

I remember seeing hot starts quite often when I worked the ramp. They we're especially noticeable at 5am, and I would see them often on the American Eagle ERJ's that were parked at the gate next to us. Some mornings you would see a good size flame....it would definately get your attention. I wonder how much money a passenger initiated evacuation costs the airline...? I can imagine there were plenty of unhappy people at all levels.

It's amazing to me just how little people really know about aviation and how much they think they do. On one flight I was on the pilot executed a textbook crosswind landing. But I hear some guy behind me tell his wife "what a bad landing" and his wife said something about drunk pilots.

I wanted to turn around and say, well, captain, just how many crosswind landings have YOU done but I bit my tongue.

Hey guys - I live in Tampa and this story was all over the news last night.

Apparently, it WAS a hot start and the passengers DID panic.

The ones that initiated the evacuation did so on their own accord. Some of them were interviewed and the lady who started the whole thing seemed to find it funny.

She was laughing when interviewed (a businesswoman) and said:

"I saw this ball of fire shoot out of the engine and I started yelling 'FIRE! FIRE!'"

She was unharmed.

So, no airline "spin" or "crap". That's what happened.

R2F

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the airline tried to spin it calling a hot start normal. At least thats how the article at the top shows it.

Sometimes engines smoke when they're starting up and passengers freak -- even on normal starts.

Or sometimes if you forget to turn on the ignition during engine starts in the MD-88's and you abort the start procedure, it'll smoke on you too.

Or better yet, the L1011's have a really acrid smoke smell from the tri-spooled RR engines that would even freak me out a little on cold mornings.

PIE or "Passenger Initiated Evacuations" happen sometimes for the craziest of reasons. At least tower didn't have to call the flight and say, "Uhhh, Flight 123, you've got passengers jumping out onto the taxiway, say intentions!"

I want to see a crew running off the airplane yelling "Stupidity! Stupidity!" and call it a "darwinism initiated evacuation."
smirk.gif

Doug if you remember theres nothing like a tristar starting up with all that smoke..I remember seeing folks in the A concourse staring out the window gate A18 with horror and and bewilderment when the old jet started up. Always a distinct smoke and sound of the Rolls engines

[ QUOTE ]
The ones that initiated the evacuation did so on their own accord. Some of them were interviewed and the lady who started the whole thing seemed to find it funny.

She was laughing when interviewed (a businesswoman) and said:

"I saw this ball of fire shoot out of the engine and I started yelling 'FIRE! FIRE!'"

She was unharmed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's REALLY funny. What a dumbass. If I were a PAX on that plane and I found out WHY we were delayed and WHO did it I think I would have to give them a piece of my mind. At least I would let them overhear how much of a jerk I can be while standing in close proximity.

Notice how we always hear about drunk pilots this or Captain who won't let PAX fly in his plane that. What about idiot passenger who thinks it's funny to delay a flight and get other passengers injured. At least the lady who caused the whole fracas thought it was funny.

How can a passenger start an evacutation? I thought It could only be started by one of the flight crew. Wouldn't the flight crew be trained to determine when an evacuation is actualy needed?

Would it be possible for a crazy passenger to open that emergency exit while the aircraft is in-flight?

Back