Pan Am Hiring CFI's

jlo

Pan Am Hiring CFI\'s

Does Pan Am hire from the outside? I know they used to hire many FSI grads back in the day. Is there a waiting list like at FSI? Appreciate any feedback!

Re: Pan Am Hiring CFI\'s

I don't know about a waiting list, but ya do gotta drop 8K on the "ACE"program...how that is anything but a pure profit move I don't know.

Pan Am only hires from the outside when they don't have enough prospects coming up through their own program. In Phoenix we haven't hired from the outside in a long time. Their is no waiting list at all. I can't believe people actually hang around FSI waiting on the list to be hired. That is one thing Pan Am has over FSI.

I predict chunk75 will be replying to this post in 5..4..3..2..1.....

I will respond before Chunk.

I went to FSI and the reason people wait around is because of the multi time that they build at FSI, as instructors.

Correct me if I am wrong, but as a Pan Am Instructor you do not build as much multi time. Believe me, people do not hang around Vero Beach because it is so great, it is simply the multi time!!

"That is one thing Pan Am has over FSI."

'bought the only thing! Temporary thing too!

People don't hang around waiting, they go out, get a job instructing elsewhere and wait for the call to come back. You won't find a better instructing job anywhere. Competitve pay, BENEFITS, outstanding multi time, free II and MEI...

I guess we all have our opinions. I personally wouldn't go to a school that doesn't even guarantee me an instructing job. FSI has a great program, I will agree with that. But that guaranteed interview not guaranteed CFI job thing turns a lot of people away. And with CFI jobs hard to come by these days, it is hard to get one when you have little or no dual given. As for the multi-time, I don't know where you guys are getting your information, but here in Phoenix our instructors build anywhere from 200 - 400 hours. That seems plenty to me. Just some thoughts.

Pan Am guarantees you a CFI job???? Since when? Yes they advertise it, BUT, if they don't like you, you don't give them all your money (you aren't an ACE grad or an MEI)...you are screwed. I knew quite a few CFI's that were in fact hired, but only had one or two students. Some were hired and didn't have students at all...and you only get paid IF you have students. That guarantee for some CFI's isn't worth the travel time-for some it is...I suppose. I guess its a guarantee of employment, not actual pay. Hell, I can do that...all of you now have the distinct honor of working for ME !!! But since I don't have enough students you are not going to be paid.....If you don't like it....LEAVE !!!!!

Well I dont know if PanAmPilot is a company man...but we are NOT guarenteed a job as a CFI ( look at your contract ) it might be said by anyone and everyone that you are but it is not true...Second.. If you are a pilot at pan am DVT you HAVE to know that we just hired 4 OUTSIDE CFI's and I (as well as the rest of the school) consider some one who came here with all there ratings and paid for ace and route an outsider!! If you are one of them then congrats to you. But the rest of us who paid ALL the money are <font color="red"> </font color> not happy about this practice!

To clear things up, I am not a "company man" at Pan Am. I am a CFI who did the majority of my training there (Commercial through MEI). Maybe the contract doesn't say they guarantee hire but do you know any Pan Am student who hasn't been hired? I don't know of any. As for the CFI's who take route and then Ace and are considered insiders, THAT'S CRAP! I back you up on that one jetdriver.

you the man! That is CRAP!!!!
cool.gif

In regard to the CFI's who come in and take the route and the ACE....IF they are hired on at an airline, did you guys know that Pan Am will advertise them as Pan Am graduates?
"Yes Pilot X who was just hired on at ABC Airline was a Pan Am graduate (even though he only completed the Route and ACE at Pan Am)." Typical Pan Am style....legally they can say this, but realistically it is VERY misleading to the general public who don't know any better. I know of a couple of Pan Am CFI's who got most of their ratings at other schools, got a class date for a Regional, and the school was very quick in labeling them Pan Am Grads !!!
By the way Pan Am Pilot....thats a GREAT Icon you have there...LMAO!!!

You guys have it all wrong. Pan Am will claim that *ANY* instructor that just got hired was a Pan Am grad, especially on the tour. An outside instructor doesn't get any of the placement services or other help finding a job, but once that guy gets hired the school will use that info to further their own agenda.

Actually I believe as long as the "outside" instructors have completed ACE and route, they do get the placement help just like any inside student, but that is just how it was explained to me. They are required to instruct for six months before the placement help will begin, whether they are over the 800 hours or not.

You can't get hired without ACE or route now, but their are instructors working there that came in with only CFII/MEI and never were required to do any Pan Am programs. These are the ones I am talking about.

What is enrollment like in DVT? How many hours are instructors logging (give me a low end)?

I heard that classes a month ago were in the high teens to low 20's I may be wrong. At Pan Am they have rotations for the CFI's. As a CFI you teach one rating for a couple of months. The instrument instructors log the lowest because half of the instrument syllabus is in the sim. On average they get about 30-60 hours per month. This is flight time. The dual given can be in the high 90's. Hope this helps. Other instructors at Pan Am might be able to give some more insight.

Panampilot, would you really want to go to a school that guaranteed all of its graduates a job. It is not that hard to get all your ratings. Alot of the people who pass their checkrides are still morons. Would you want to have one as your instructor? I do not know the situation at Pan Am, good or bad, so this is not a criticism, just an observation.

That's actually a really good point that has been brought up. And, you're right. Pan Am puts themselves in a tough position guaranteeing a cfi job to everyone. What I have noticed is that they also keep a very close eye on those that aren't "cutting" it. There are many students that are weeded out because Pan Am doesn't feel comfortable endorsing them as a graduate when they aren't able to keep up with the accelerated program. So, I think they hope to only have people instruct here who they feel are good pilots.

Back