Pan Am Bashers

hoosier

You know, I think I finally figured out the type of person who bashes Pan Am.
I attend DVT and just finished up a ground school. There was a kid in my class, I think he said he was 19. During ground school he kept bragging about partying and staying out all night. One day he said that while he was going up solo he just fooled around and actually got in trouble at another airport. Well, during class he was laughing about it, and was saying that the Chief had a talk with him about his attitude. He said that the Chief could shove it and nobody tells him what to do. He ended up failing ground school, failing his flights and ended up getting kicked out. The last time I talked with him, he was bashing Pan Am and the Chief. So, all of these guys love blaming everyone else for their stupidity. That's OK, that is one less guy I have to compete with for a job.
So, everyone that is thinking about Pan Am or any other flight school, talk to the guys who actually attend, not the kids that will always be "bashers" and has-beens the rest of their lives.

Remember, it's not whether you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

I wouldn't necessarily say that PanAm is perfect or anything; but as with anything, you've just got to consider the source when you hear something positive or negative. I'm sure PanAm has it's quirks like anyplace else; yet at the same, time has it's pluses like anyplace else too.

I agree, The important thing we all need to remember is our goals. We all want to fly and I do not care where the person I am flying with got his schooling. All of the academies have good and bad, as long as we all meet up in a jet its all good!

[ QUOTE ]
You know, I think I finally figured out the type of person who bashes Pan Am.
I attend DVT and just finished up a ground school. There was a kid in my class, I think he said he was 19. During ground school he kept bragging about partying and staying out all night. One day he said that while he was going up solo he just fooled around and actually got in trouble at another airport. Well, during class he was laughing about it, and was saying that the Chief had a talk with him about his attitude. He said that the Chief could shove it and nobody tells him what to do. He ended up failing ground school, failing his flights and ended up getting kicked out. The last time I talked with him, he was bashing Pan Am and the Chief. So, all of these guys love blaming everyone else for their stupidity. That's OK, that is one less guy I have to compete with for a job.
So, everyone that is thinking about Pan Am or any other flight school, talk to the guys who actually attend, not the kids that will always be "bashers" and has-beens the rest of their lives. [/quote.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

What an IGNORANT generalization !! You seem to be lumping everyone into this category. If that "kid" was really doing what you say he was doing and had an attitude like that, then sure, he needed to be talked to and ultimately kicked out of the school...aviation does not need people like that, no matter where they train. But dont for one minute think that all people you call "bashers" have the same story or attitude, its simply not true. There were many at Pan Am that were into the party scene BIG TIME, even so much as I really thought about reporting them to the chief because they really were not fit to fly or even drive for that matter...drug use among student pilots and a few instructors was a big problem there (Yes I saw it with my own two eyes). I am talking about the FPR campus, I know nothing about the DVT campus.
I had people with the same attitudes in my classes as well and yes, they failed and either quit or were kicked out and I was glad to see them leave, but that was not MY reason for leaving Pan Am.
Please "think" before you make such large generalizations, not everyones story is the same.

Pan Am was one of my serious contenders for flight training. Based on factors not connected to this forum, I decided that another school was the better place for me. Obviously I have no personal experience with Pan Am beyond the admissions and recruiting process. (Incidentally, the $500 deposit was returned to me quickly and with no hassles.)

That said, what makes an impression on me isn't the folks who show up on the forums and bash Pan Am . . . it's the students who attend Pan Am and defend their school with venom and spite. If someone bashes your school, returning the favor with insults, sarcasm, and disrespect for people who attend other institutions doesn't help your case in my eyes. I can understand people who might hold a grudge against a school and post negative things; I take their posts with a grain of salt. But when you represent yourself and your school poorly in an intellectual forum while admitting your affiliations, then I am quickly turned off.

Thankfully, people like the Turkey are around to shed some positive light on things. His story is inspiring and great for people looking to change careers!

This post isn't aimed at anyone in particular, just a general observation. My feelings aren't limited to the Pan Am forum - I have seen anger and feelings flare in many places, both on- and off-line.

Didn't mean to turn this into a lecture. Hope I didn't offend too many . . .

Best,

PhotoPilot

No thanks needed, Turk. Just keep doing what you do, and kick some butt out there! I'll be starting my training in about two weeks and will hope, for both of our sakes, that there are a few jobs out there someday soon . . .

Best,

PhotoPilot

Not yet. I figure I am somewhere around #20 on the wait list. So it may be a month or two before I get called. If the next group of Chinese show up, that time will be much shorter.

The Turk.

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, it's not whether you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

I wouldn't necessarily say that PanAm is perfect or anything; but as with anything, you've just got to consider the source when you hear something positive or negative. I'm sure PanAm has it's quirks like anyplace else; yet at the same, time has it's pluses like anyplace else too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty hard on our alma mater, mostly because I think if they made a few key changes, that they'd be the undeniable 800 pound gorilla of the training world.

Back