PA-28-R200 - Gear Transition Light

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
So me n' another pilot decide to go flying last night because the Wx was glorious and I needed to shoot some approaches and it'd been a loooooong time since I'd flown my club's Arrow.

We take off and we're climbing out and everything is hunky and/or dory and he says to me, "hey, look there, how long is that light supposed to be on?"

I duck my head and look down a bit (because the gear in transition light is mounted right under the lip of the dashboard and it's hard to see) and sure enough, the gear-in-transition light is on and has been on for a while. The three-greens are dark, so we pull out the PoH and look for an abnormal procedure on the gear. And being that it's a 1972 model, the documentation is....lacking.

So, finding nothing useful, we slow the airplane down some, extend the gear. Gear comes down, locks, three green, gear transition light goes out. Hmmm. Retract the gear, we hear the pump pulling the gear up. Three green go out, the pump turns off (we think - we don't hear it anymore) but the transition light stays on.

So. At this point we *think* everything is fine, but we don't know for sure so we drop the gear again, get three green and turn back to the airport for an uneventful landing.

On the way to a post-flight meal, I check with a couple of other people in the club who say, "yeah, it's been doing this off and on for years, it's not a big deal" and we do a little internet sleuthing which indicates, anecdotally, that it's not a big deal because the light is powered by microswitches which are independent of the gear up/down system. One of the guys in the club notes that you can be sure the pump is off because the load on the ammeter will reduce after the gear have finished retracting. Okay, cool, and I didn't think of that in flight, but doesn't do me much good now and I'm not sure that's a "legit" procedure in the eyes of the FAA.

Because I'm a relatively new and paranoid CFI, it gets me wondering: the PoH doesn't mention this light explicitly in procedures as an item to troubleshoot (note: I have not checked the W/B equipment list yet) and there's not a KOEL in the PoH which addresses this. And while a gear position light *is* a requirement, the FARs don't stipulate a gear-in-transition indicator. So...could this thing be deferred? I think it *might* be deferrable, but I'm not 100% on this until I check the equipment list.

Either way, I squawked it to the club and the enchiladas after the flight were really good so it wasn't a total loss, but I'm curious now.

I'm aware that I'm making a lot of assumptions here and I'm trying to view this as a teachable moment for myself.

Thoughts?

It's normal, I went through the same thing years ago.

If I remember the system correctly, there are no up locks on that gear, so the only thing holding it up is hydraulic pressure. Lose pressure? Gear gravity falls down.

If that pump doesn't get the gear onto the switch before it stops cycling, it'll pop the in transit light.

It's not broken, it's just old.

1) Learn the systems better, this is usually how that happens. But ya, learn exactly how that light works, how the whole gear system and every component of it works.

2) Tell em to fix the damn switch... if that's applicable.

1) Learn the systems better, this is usually how that happens. But ya, learn exactly how that light works, how the whole gear system and every component of it works.

2) Tell em to fix the damn switch... if that's applicable.

No, I get that. I know how it works now because I had to look into it. The club has apparently spent a few grand trying to isolate what to repair and it's been an intermittent issue. The rest of the gear system I'm familiar with.

My question now is - if it's not called out in the Required Equipment, is it required and/or can it be deferred?

The real question is, what triggers the light? Is it a pressure switch, indicating the pump hasn't achieved it's full up pressure, or a position switch indicating the gear hasn't reached the full up position (or that the switch is miss-positioned)? The idea of a time-based switch indicating the position or pressure hasn't been reached within a specified time sounds unlikely on a PA-28, but not impossible.

The real question is, what triggers the light? Is it a pressure switch, indicating the pump hasn't achieved it's full up pressure, or a position switch indicating the gear hasn't reached the full up position (or that the switch is miss-positioned)? The idea of a time-based switch indicating the position or pressure hasn't been reached within a specified time sounds unlikely on a PA-28, but not impossible.

It's a microswitch, completely independent of the gear retraction mechanism. The switch operating or failing has no bearing on the gear function. Again, this is why I'm wondering if it can be deferred.

It's certainly not a legit procedure if you don't write it up and placard it.

Right! That's kind of my point - is *that* the procedure we can follow, or is this a non-deferrable item?

EDIT - in context of what you quoted - determining functionality by looking at a gentle needle movement on an ammeter was the questionable "legit" piece.

Right! That's kind of my point - is *that* the procedure we can follow, or is this a non-deferrable item?

I'd imagine it would depend on the particular Fed. It seems obvious to me that the light is not supposed to be on, so my attitude (if I were a Fed, God between us and evil) would be something like "how long has that been placarded"...

My biggest concern would be that the gear isn’t coming all the way up to where it should be, resulting in more drag and fuel burn if you were taking it on a long flight.

As to the legality of it. I think it’s gotta work unless there is a specific procedure blessed by the powers that be.

If you write off a warning system as a false indication, and don't fix it, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the warning system?

I don't disagree. There is so little information re: the ramifications and safety issues here that I'm very surprised. I've emailed an A&P I know who also owns a PA-28R-200 to get his take on it.

It's a microswitch, completely independent of the gear retraction mechanism. The switch operating or failing has no bearing on the gear function. Again, this is why I'm wondering if it can be deferred.

So what turns the switch on or off?

On the way to a post-flight meal, I check with a couple of other people in the club who say, "yeah, it's been doing this off and on for years, it's not a big deal"

Yeah Right !! it is a big deal. It's one hole in the swiss cheese. It is indicative of a nonchalant attitude towards maintenance, the other holes in the cheese may be old cracked seals, old hydraulic lines, frayed wiring etc etc... What seems insignificant at the time may have a tragic meaning in the future.
Under my watch I do not tolerate anything not working properly no matter what it is, it may seem extreme but that's our philosophy.

Last edited:
Yeah Right !! it is a big deal. It's one hole in the swiss cheese. It is indicative of a nonchalant attitude towards maintenance, the other holes in the cheese may be old cracked seals, old hydraulic lines, frayed wiring etc etc... What seems insignificant at the time may have a tragic meaning in the future.
Under my watch I do not tolerate anything not working properly no matter what it is, it may seem extreme but that's our philosophy.
Lol. Try flying for a living with that ridiculous attitude.

I guess if you think the airplane runs on black magic, I could see that.

My biggest concern would be that the gear isn’t coming all the way up to where it should be, resulting in more drag and fuel burn if you were taking it on a long flight.

As to the legality of it. I think it’s gotta work unless there is a specific procedure blessed by the powers that be.
I agree. I think they should swing the gear on ground and note the actual gear position. If it's not fully retracted then they have a problem, as you said

Back