P-180 Q's

Does anyone have any info and real numbers for the Piaggio P-180 Avanti?
Single pilot?
In and out of 3400 feet?
Trip time and burn on a 500 mile trip?
Worth the extra $$ over a King Air 200GT?
Thanks

Actually still has a flight engineer so three crew members needed.

3400 feet? Try 13,400 feet.

1:18 and 214 gallons of pure jet A.

Only if you have the need for some speed.

(OK, I have no clue what I am talking about obviously)

Actually still has a flight engineer so three crew members needed.

3400 feet? Try 13,400 feet.

1:18 and 214 gallons of pure jet A.

Only if you have the need for some speed.

(OK, I have no clue what I am talking about obviously)

WTF? Had to re-read to find out you were spelunking. :yup: The P.180 is single pilot certified. And it is way more efficent than a King Air. They come in an out of VNY and CMA all the time.

Cruise is around 380ish TAS, around 1600nm range (I think, I'll have to dig up the info I have). The Avanti II will cruise at 402 TAS.

They can get down and stoped in less than 3400ft, but I think take off happens at around 4200FT MTOW (I think again, I have to dig up the books). I'll get back to you ASAP. I have to find the stuff.

WTF? Had to re-read to find out you were spelunking. :yup: The P.180 is single pilot certified. And it is way more efficent than a King Air. They come in an out of VNY and CMA all the time.

Cruise is around 380ish TAS, around 1600nm range (I think, I'll have to dig up the info I have). The Avanti II will cruise at 402 TAS.

They can get down and stoped in less than 3400ft, but I think take off happens at around 4200FT MTOW (I think again, I have to dig up the books). I'll get back to you ASAP. I have to find the stuff.
We have them in at LOU every now and then. Our longest runway is 4300. One interesting thing the pilots were telling me was that even if there's a little bit of dirt on the plane it'll fly noticeably slower.

One interesting thing the pilots were telling me was that even if there's a little bit of dirt on the plane it'll fly noticeably slower.

Yeah, that struck me as well.

A couple of Avantair pilots I was talking with said there was a performance decrease based on the number of bug splats on the leading edges/fuse. I guess it's actually referenced in the book, 100 bug splats and you lose 3 knots, 150 and you gotta clean 'em off or something goofy like that.

The fuse itself provides something like 20% of the total lift, the front wing is just that, a wing and not a canard. I couldn't figure how they kept the ice off of the thing since there were no boots and the leading edges were painted. Apparently it's bleed air, but cool enough that it doesn't blister the paint.

The Avantair guys really dug the airplane, said it was fast and incredibly efficient.

Oh, and I guess if you fly it you just gotta get used to answering questions from curious pilots every time you land. I bugged those guys for an hour and crawled all of the the thing (great guys, really patient) so from that aspect a King Air is probably better. :)

Oh, and I guess if you fly it you just gotta get used to answering questions from curious pilots every time you land. I bugged those guys for an hour and crawled all of the the thing (great guys, really patient) so from that aspect a King Air is probably better. :)

I'm gonna be that curious guy. There are a few of them that come in and out of AUS and I desperately want to get a look at one up close. I've been in love with the Avanti since I first saw it. Such a unique and beautiful airplane.

I heard ATC commenting on an Avanti's Rippping speed-we were already in class B and going into Hobby, so they must've been on a sales/test flight 'cause I was usually descending at that point and we didn't exactly drag our feet .
As I mentioned before, tho- I hated them ahead on final cause once they slowed to land I had to do HUGE S turns and still once was caused to go around @ ADS.

Back