Outsider Instructing for ATP?

IslandFlyer

I'm not sure if this topic has been touched on already, I'm sure it probably has but I couldn't find it. My question is to anyone that instructs at ATP or anyone with knowledge on instructing for them.

My question is that I might finish up my certificates and ratings at another school and was wondering what my chances of being able to instruct ATP would be. I will be living near an ATP location (Houston) and would rather work somewhere "full time" rather than at a local FBO or somewhere building minimal time.

I know their website says that it's possible but the pay is a little less for the first few months for someone that did not attend ATP's training.

Has anyone trained outside of ATP and instructed there? Does anyone know if they hire outside of the CFI's they put through? Obviously they probably give preference to their CFI's but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

The last that I heard ATP was only hiring CFI's that went through the Airline Career Pilot program. With the slow down at the airlines ATP has kept a lot of people that they would have lost 6 months ago. That being said that were able to get a lot pickier on who they hire. Sorry if that isn't what you wanted to hear. The official way to find out is by either calling 1-800-allatps or e-mailing you resume to courtney@allatps.com.

Thanks for the information and it was exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm trying to gather the facts.

I personally wouldn't be able to instruct there for some time still but just wanted info.

Prior to their current standing of only hiring the Carrer Pilot Program students, did they hire anyone that didn't train with them? I would assume that they train enough students that they would never have to hire a CFI that didn't train with them.

Even if the industry picks back up, I would just assume that they train enough students to fill the CFI slots and wouldn't have the need to fill it by a CFI that didn't train there. But again, that's me assuming and why I'm asking about it.

They will hire you if you dont do any training there in the future. It will be a matter of time but once things pick up they will then again do such. However right now this is their way of keeping stuff in house. Honestly there are pleanty of FBO's around in which you will be able to instruct at, get paid more, have a better life, and get where you want to go eventually just as fast. When it comes to instructing its dependant upon the CFI's desire to recruit students, treat them with professionalism, retain their students, and thus deliver the best quality instruction possible. Honestly who knows what the airlines will demand when they start hiring again. Right now I know Colgan, Mesaba, and Pinnacle are either hiring or about to start hiring. None of which are going to say you cannot interview once you have the time. Also with the slump these places mins are still relatively low. Also keep in mind one thing. A lot of places when you go to get hired its about personality and also what you know. In the end hours do mean a little but there's so many other factors that go into airline hiring and what they are looking for. In the end focus on getting those ratings. Do them the cheapest way you can do them with the best instructon possible. You do it this away you minimize your debt and later are in a better position. Best of luck and later on any of us would be willing to try to help you out finding an instructor gig. Until then fly safe and continue to learn and gain valuable experience.

They will hire you if you dont do any training there in the future. It will be a matter of time but once things pick up they will then again do such. However right now this is their way of keeping stuff in house. Honestly there are pleanty of FBO's around in which you will be able to instruct at, get paid more, have a better life, and get where you want to go eventually just as fast. When it comes to instructing its dependant upon the CFI's desire to recruit students, treat them with professionalism, retain their students, and thus deliver the best quality instruction possible. Honestly who knows what the airlines will demand when they start hiring again. Right now I know Colgan, Mesaba, and Pinnacle are either hiring or about to start hiring. None of which are going to say you cannot interview once you have the time. Also with the slump these places mins are still relatively low. Also keep in mind one thing. A lot of places when you go to get hired its about personality and also what you know. In the end hours do mean a little but there's so many other factors that go into airline hiring and what they are looking for. In the end focus on getting those ratings. Do them the cheapest way you can do them with the best instructon possible. You do it this away you minimize your debt and later are in a better position. Best of luck and later on any of us would be willing to try to help you out finding an instructor gig. Until then fly safe and continue to learn and gain valuable experience.
Meyers

Thanks for the info. Lots of good info for me to keep in mind there. I guess the biggest concern for me is finding that CFI job when the time comes. Obviously it must be possible with a lot of time, dedication, and persistance, as shown by so many thousands of instructors prior to me. Just getting a bit of the pre-game butterflies as I not only transition out of the military into civilian life but into a new career field.

Meyers

Thanks for the info. Lots of good info for me to keep in mind there. I guess the biggest concern for me is finding that CFI job when the time comes. Obviously it must be possible with a lot of time, dedication, and persistance, as shown by so many thousands of instructors prior to me. Just getting a bit of the pre-game butterflies as I not only transition out of the military into civilian life but into a new career field.

No need to worry about getting a CFI gig. Honestly right now its a little more difficult but when the time comes I'd not be surprised if they were a dime a dozen. There are lots of very good gigs out there!

Prior to their current standing of only hiring the Carrer Pilot Program students, did they hire anyone that didn't train with them?

Yes. My instructor was a former Delta Connection Academy student. I think he was hired at ATP about a year ago.

Back