Our Cessna 210: Looks good as new

loubetti

Pays to fly
We just got her back from the paint shop last Friday, and Lancaster Aero did a great job. They got the paint scheme I designed right on the money! They also delivered on time in just around 5 weeks.

We went for a classic look with a bit of contemporary flair (the tail).

We also added VGs to her, and they dropped the stall speed 5 knots (now at 53), and she is like a new bird on landing! Elevator authority is much better too. :D

You'll see how it transformed from the original design (one I modified from a P210 design) to the final design here:

http://www.villaamalfi.com/n5276c.html

The last photo is of the old scheme from 1980, which was later updated with 12" numbers.

Attachments

• N5276C_01.JPG
    N5276C_01.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 967
  • P1010142.JPG
    P1010142.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 473
  • P1010198.jpg
    P1010198.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 722
  • N5276C_02.JPG
    N5276C_02.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 762
  • N5276C_Daniel_Berek.jpg
    N5276C_Daniel_Berek.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 929
That looks like fun. I don't have more than an hour in a 210 1000hrs ago, but it was cool, one of those classic cessna designs, fast enough, get in short enough, and haul just enough. Awesome.

Looks really good! I haven't had the privilege of flying in one of those yet. I've flown a 207 before, but I imagine the T210 has a bit more zip to it, and doesn't feel as much like a tank.

Looks really good! I haven't had the privilege of flying in one of those yet. I've flown a 207 before, but I imagine the T210 has a bit more zip to it, and doesn't feel as much like a tank.

That's why they call the 207 the lead sled. When I first got checked out in it, the CP was like "you've flown a 206 right," I nodded, "Well imagine you load it way overgross, then slightly aft of cg. That's what its like to fly the sled." Not that far from the truth actually.

That's why they call the 207 the lead sled. When I first got checked out in it, the CP was like "you've flown a 206 right," I nodded, "Well imagine you load it way overgross, then slightly aft of cg. That's what its like to fly the sled." Not that far from the truth actually.
Hah. I never got that briefing. That would've been nice. Oh well. It was a good ten hours of flying. It felt like a tank, but it also felt solid in the chop.

Again, that 210 looks amazing.

Thanks for the kind remarks, folks, much appreciated! :)

I spent today putting in the interior plastic window trim, which I repaired and repainted. Now the interior looks great too! I'll show some photos soon.

Chris Barnes: As to your post above, I am alive, my friend, but making a change in my life, one which revolves more around the real aviation than what those at Avsim.com think it is about.

Chris, you are and always will be a good friend. Send me a PM with your phone number and I wil give you a call. :)

Indeed, the 207 is an amazing airplane also. Call it what you wish.

Ya' know, while I will agree that the 210 is not necessarily an "enjoyable" (my choice of words) plane to fly but, it is an incredible plane to fly. It will do more than most folks think.

Then again, I do enjoy flying it. So, what do I know! ;)

I'll never forget the time when stuck for several hours with a mechanical when flying to Paris back in 1990 on a TWA 747 that I engaged the captain in conversation. He was hanging out in the terminal with the rest of us pax as they fixed the brakes.

I told him that I was a pilot, flying (at the time) a Cherokee 235, and asked him what the 747 was like to fly.

He said, and this is not a 100% quote, but pretty darn close:

"I have a Cessna 210, and the 747 isn't much different. I'll have you shooting touch and goes with it within an hour".

Ten years later I spent a bunch of money to fly a Level D 747-400 simulator at UAL in Denver, CO and, guess what?

That captain was right!

You can call it a "truck", a "sled", whatever, but the 210 is still the best single engine piston SEL that ever came out of Wichita.

An amazing airplane.

Ya' know, while I will agree that the 210 is not necessarily an "enjoyable" (my choice of words) plane to fly but, it is an incredible plane to fly. It will do more than most folks think.

An amazing airplane.

I certainly enjoyed flying it for a couple of years hauling checks. It'll carry as much or more than a Baron about 25 knots slower and at half the engine cost. Built like a brick outhouse or I wouldn't be around to tell some of my dumber weather stories. Excellent field performance, relatively easy to land...what's not to like? If I ever have the scratch, it'll be high on my list of personal aircraft. Compare, for example, the costs of a late model 210 to a Cirrus. Then compare their performance and load carrying. Not to mention being tried and true. I'll take ole Centurion every day and twice on Sunday.

Indeed, the 207 is an amazing airplane also. Call it what you wish.

I'll never forget the time when stuck for several hours with a mechanical when flying to Paris back in 1990 on a TWA 747 that I engaged the captain in conversation. He was hanging out in the terminal with the rest of us pax as they fixed the brakes.

I told him that I was a pilot, flying (at the time) a Cherokee 235, and asked him what the 747 was like to fly.

He said, and this is not a 100% quote, but pretty darn close:

"I have a Cessna 210, and the 747 isn't much different. I'll have you shooting touch and goes with it within an hour".

Ten years later I spent a bunch of money to fly a Level D 747-400 simulator at UAL in Denver, CO and, guess what?

That captain was right!

You can call it a "truck", a "sled", whatever, but the 210 is still the best single engine piston SEL that ever came out of Wichita.

An amazing airplane.

Second best, I think the 207 beats it. I love the sled. Just don't like it.;)

Back