OSI

Badaracco610

Okay, I hope I'm not being a pain on this issue, but I have been receiving different responses to this question...Is OSI pay guaranteed, or if not guaranteed, the norm? If so, what is the average OSI yearly increase in base pay percentage wise? I am trying to find out on average, how long it takes to get from the minimum CPC grade to the maximum? If anyone can shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

ATC might be different, but if you're under core compensation like most of us, then the OSI is a performance-based increase that applies to everyone in the FAA except the executive level and people still on the GS scale. So this year, everyone gets 3.9% as an OSI. The amount of the OSI varies year to year. Then there's the SCI increases which can be 0.6% or 1.8% on top of that. The SCIs may be awarded to individuals by their supervisors and are not guaranteed. Then there's the locality pay increases that happened this year, but won't necessarily happen every year. So for instance, here in Los Angeles we went from 25.26% locality pay to 26.51% for an increase of 1.25%. I got the 0.6% SCI, so here's what my overall salary increase will be this year:

OSI: 3.9%
SCI: 0.6%
Locality Pay: 1.25%

For a total of 5.75%

I can't even tell you how thankful I am for that clear response and the example. But just to make sure, OSI is guaranteed ever year? If so, what percentage? About 3-5%? If OSI is guaranteed at 3-5%/year I can only assume that once we make CPC it takes an average of 8-10 years to reach the maximum pay band?

hope this will answer your question.

This is from the FAA's Human Resources Policy Manual (HRPM)

"Annual Pay Change Process

Step 1: The Management Board establishes strategic goals, corporate projects, and performance targets that support FAA Strategic Plan. From these, specific OSI goals are established and approved by the Administrator at the beginning of each performance year. The performance year runs from October 1 to September 30 of the following year.
There are currently six organizational goals: Safety, Security, System Efficiency, Customer Satisfaction, Financial Responsibility, and People.

Step 2: The FAA Compensation Committee proposes to the Administrator the potential OSI pool by following the Annual Funding formula described above.

Step 3: After the end of the performance year, the Administrator assesses the performance of the agency against the organizational goals and makes a final OSI determination. Based on the assessment, the Administrator will determine whether to grant the entire available OSI pool for success or a portion of the pool for partial success as the final OSI.

Step 4: Managers will use a streamlined assessment process to identify recipients for each annual pay increase level. There are four possible annual pay increase levels:
  • Approximately 20% will get the OSI plus an SCI-1 of 1.8% of base salary
  • Approximately 45% will get the OSI plus an SCI-2 of 0.6% of base salary
  • Approximately 35% will get the OSI with no SCI
  • Ineligible employees will receive no OSI nor SCI
The process for evaluating employees for the SCI component of the annual pay increase will include a Contribution Assessment Decision Aid and other tools, and an employee input capability. SCI decisions will be made at the lowest practical levels, so that to the greatest extent possible, decision-makers will be personally familiar with the employee contributions.
The criteria against which employees will be rated are collaboration, customer service, and impact on organizational success. A fourth criterion ? management and leadership ? will apply only to managers."

In other words, no, it is not guaranteed, it depends on the success of the organization in meeting goals. (thus the name: Organizational Success Increase)

I can't even tell you how thankful I am for that clear response and the example. But just to make sure, OSI is guaranteed ever year? If so, what percentage? About 3-5%? If OSI is guaranteed at 3-5%/year I can only assume that once we make CPC it takes an average of 8-10 years to reach the maximum pay band?

I know what you're getting at, but I really don't know if there's any guarantee to the OSI. I get the feeling that there's probably a minimum and maximum range that can be authorized by the administrator each year, but I'm not really sure. This year the banner read "maximum OSI authorized", so I guess 3.9% was the most we could get. I remember some of the theoretical examples of pay increases from orientation, and I think you could pretty much expect 2-4% for the OSI. But I'm still kinda new, so I might be wrong.

As a developmental you may recieve the OSI as long as your EOD("Employment origination date" or date you started for the FAA) is prior to July 1st of the preceding year. Anyone hired after that receives only the locality pay increase and has to wait until the following year to recieve an OSI increase. Additionally as a Developmental you usually are ineligible for the SCI bonus to the increase but I believe that is a facility level decision.

Back